Photo

What Part Of The Process Satisfies You Most?

PC question of the week

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts
  • LocationRed Lodge, Montana

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

What part of the satisfies you most? Opening a glaze firing? Sitting down and throwing a flawless shape? Mastering some new technique? Developing a great design?

Explain please.

Marcia

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,Montana State University-Billings
[http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

I like working with the clay  glazing is my least favorite.  Glaze can make or break a piece, it makes me anxious.  Denice

#3 Marc McMillan

Marc McMillan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationDublin, ca

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

I guess I would have to say Throwing. It's when you are in the groove and in sync with the clay. That feels so complete and connected. Of course, that's when it's going right. :)

#4 CarlCravens

CarlCravens

Long-time Dabbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWichita, KS

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Most satisfying is using finished ware.

The process itself, it has to be throwing. There's something almost magical about the way clay responds to touch on the wheel. A good session at the wheel is more satisfying than finishing handles, glazing or firing. Though I'd get frustrated being the thrower in an assembly line... throwing is still exploration for me, and ultimately, there's not much point to this if I don't produce finished ware I or someone else can use.
Carl (Wichita, KS)

#5 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

At first read this question seems very simple, I get satisfaction when taking a pot from the kiln that has good structure and is technically pleasing.

When thinking about the question further, If I have spent many hours trying to come up with a solution to a problem, usually involves a fair bit of teeth gnashing and blubbering,  at the end of the day there is great satisfaction in knowing I have worked it out. So I guess the short answer to your question is that I get the most satisfaction from fixing my failures.  I’ve had a whole lot of failures so perhaps being tenacious, (read stubborn), probably helps.

Hope this doesn’t sound like a load of fairy toots and pixie dust.

#6 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Didn't sound like pixie dust to me!
I'm with Min on loving the problem solving, especially the technical stuff. I love figuring "it" out, whatever "it" is (throwing, chemistry, firing cycles, well considered design and execution, kiln loading.)
I could go for a really, really long rant, but I gotta go cook a turkey. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone north of the 49th!

#7 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:03 PM

spent too much time today working out the newest slip design on bowls that i will probably give away to the empty bowl supper next month.  using several colors of slip together to make raised leaves that i then carve around and leave the background a solid color.  it was such fun that i almost missed the meeting of the potters guild, how could time go by so fast?

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#8 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,309 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

Glazing then firing then seeing the finish glaze work

Clay is canvas for me

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg,Manitoba,Canada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:00 PM

I pull a mean handle. I can pull 60 at one sitting.AND they all stay on.

TJR.

Hate glazing. Hate bisquing.

Like decorating with a brush on top of the glaze.

#10 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

Testing a fresh mug from the kiln.

One physical test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

gallery_23281_871_611.png gallery_23281_871_239.png gallery_23281_871_701.jpg

#11 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCentral Canada

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

I can't say there are are many parts of handling clay that I don't like. Love the feel of clay flowing through my fingers & becoming an object, hand building sends me into a zone of quiet & then making glazes & seeing those fantastic results when I open the kiln. Ok so not always fantastic but room for improvement & try again.
Joy

#12 Mudslinger Ceramics

Mudslinger Ceramics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

Like working with translucent bone china slipcasting at times ....fussy, difficult and WAY too temperamental at every stage of making and I may only get 1/4 of a small kiln load to work.....but when they work, emerging from the kiln paper thin and full of light, it is absolute MAGIC to me!!!    I sit there smiling and admiring them for some time......I know, a bit sad.....but when they work out I just love them!

Irene

Mudslinger Ceramics :   www.mudslingerceramics.net

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to.

It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.'

- Robert Henri

#13 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

I still enjoy sketching, particularly whimsical designs that take advantage of the extreme flexibility of clay.  That means that my sketches are pretty loose and less constrained by my inner control freak who might ask if the sketch-design is acually do-able.  The real satisfaction comes from seeing that two-dimensional representation on paper come to life in three dimensions in clay.  Even more satifying are those time when a design takes on a life of its own from the seed of an idea from an old sketch.

-Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Shop Etsy New!
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users