Cooking Pots?

That document is available on http://www.lagunaclay.com/clays/, the link in the descriptive paragraph. (http://www.lagunaclay.com/catalog/pdf/lcc_guidetoclay.pdf)

It would be easier to find if it were in the bulleted "list of resources" at the bottom as well. Laguna presents a lot of information, you just kind of have to dig around to find it.

The problem with selling ovenware is that you never know what the end user will do with it. Sure, we know to heat it slowly, filled with food, don't add cold liquids to a hot pot, cool it on a wood trivet, don't use it under the broiler, don't put frozen food in pots then put in the oven etc but you have no way of knowing what tortures the consumer will put it through. 

I stopped selling ovenware when I had a customer put a frozen brie in puff pastry in one of my pots and put it in a 450F oven. It cracked, she was upset, I refunded her money. I had instruction cards taped to every brie baker, doesn't matter.

Standard Clay now lists a clay body called "KITCHENWARE - C/6-9: A great functional stoneware clay body that contains ingredients which help with thermal shock. Ideal for kitchenware items. Must test glaze to insure a good glaze/body fit before going into production."

As for Laguna, they have enough caveats in that description to keep a stable of lawyers happy and still allow them to say it can be used for ovenware without calling it ovenware or flame ware.

I have sold pots for baking for decades-many decades ,maybe 4. Things like pie plates, garlic roasters,casseroles,baking dishes.

Lets get a few things straight-People have no common sense these days-actually for many years-

I always tell them about thermo shock-so thats a given. I have very rarely ever refunded any one for cracked bakeware. I think those who toast it know why and never fess up. I have heard some crazy stories but most come from the abuser and they do not expect a refund for stupid behavior. I also have given a few pots out over the decades because I'm a nice guy when it comes to customers. I also know where to draw the line..

Flame ware well thats just asking for woes.

Mark

Hey, my wife and I have managed to break more than one glass baking dish due to thermal shock... sometimes you slip (that casserole wasn't supposed to go into the sink full of water! Now what are we having for dinner!?), sometimes it was hotter than you thought it was, etc.

In model rocketry, they have a saying... if you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to fly it. The same applies to the kitchen... expect things to break. Hope for the best ("This was your great-grandmother's prize pie plate.") and expect the worst ("I'm sorry, honey, but I dropped a cast-iron skillet on your favorite serving bowl.")

(One of those is a true story. I leave it to the reader to guess which one.)

I have sold pots for baking for decades-many decades ,maybe 4. Things like pie plates, garlic roasters,casseroles,baking dishes.

Lets get a few things straight-People have no common sense these days-actually for many years-

I always tell them about thermo shock-so thats a given. I have very rarely ever refunded any one for cracked bakeware. I think those who toast it know why and never fess up. I have heard some crazy stories but most come from the abuser and they do not expect a refund for stupid behavior. I also have given a few pots out over the decades because I'm a nice guy when it comes to customers. I also know where to draw the line..

Flame ware well thats just asking for woes.

Mark

Totally agree with you about people not having common sense these days. 

Until I can find a clay that will put up with the abuse that I think ovenware should be able to stand up to I'm sticking to just making it for friends and family. I know most potters make ovenware, I just don't want the hassle of dealing with breakages, I've got enough non - ovenware in my line that I give it a pass.

Archived