How To Transport My Kiln

Hello all, I can't tell you how much help you've been - I've stalked these forums for quite some time.  I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice about transporting a kiln I just purchased. 

I happened across an L&L JD230 that I couldn't pass up and I need to transport it over 200 miles to get it back home.  It comes apart in 3 pieces. I've read and read about moving kilns but I am curious if anyone has tried moving a kiln like this without putting it back together during transport. 

I will be using a truck to move it and I wondered about pulling each section apart and protecting each one individually.  The sections could lay next to each other without anything on top, with a buffer so they wouldn't knock together.  I guess I'm concerned about the height of the kiln in the back of the truck if we transported it assembled and the possibility it could fall over. 

I know the brick is the most fragile part of the kiln and I'll do whatever is needed to protect it. 

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!  I'm so super excited to play with my new kiln!

Go to the hardware store and buy a sheet of insulating foam board- the blue or pink stuff. Put that under the kiln when transporting it. You can stack the sections during transport without putting anything in between them. The top and bottom slabs should be moved separately, ideally standing up and strapped so they can't fall over, but you can move them laying down, stacked together with foam between, as long as they're on foam and don't have anything else stacked on top of them. You could also put the slabs on top of the wall sections, with foam board between everything, but you run the risk of them sliding off that way.

Archived