Fall To Winter Projects

Propane is a great option.  I ran a split from the line going to the house to supply a large hanging propane heater in the shop building.  I keep the temp at the lowest setting on the thermostat (keeps things from freezing) and just crank it up to about 60 degrees when I am in there.  A year later I added a second split that I can attach a flexible hose to run a raku kiln.  Firing the Raku kiln of a 300 gallon tank is much nicer than a 20# tank.  You might think about adding a split from the beginning for a later line to a gas kiln. 

I have line split, to my garage.  The previous owner did that, when the garage was built.  It has a forced air gas furnace, that we sometimes run.  Most the time we don't, because it's expensive.

Anyway, I got a nice little notice from our gas/ electric company last Spring.  It says that the line may be at risk for possible corrosion, and should be replaced.  I checked with the previous owner, he said the company was present, when the line was put in.  So my guess is their guidelines have changed in the past decade.  I'll eventually get to replacing it, but no issues yet...

Archived