Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Laser Decal Help

I am firing some work that is glazed cone 6 on the inside with just colored slips and an oxide wash on the outside i need to fire to cone six and was hoping to put the decal on the colored slips during this firing if i do a thin glaze wash or 3124 wash could i put the decal on top so it has some flux to adhere it or could i put the decal on and thin wash over it. The image is not detailed but i dont want it to rub off or fire out.

Thank you

Jp

I would test. My experience is Bisque 04, glaze ^6, then laser transfer fire 04 once again, I just put mine back through with a load of bisque. I would think firing at the same time as your glaze would cause distortion of the image as the glaze melts and depending on your glaze it will most likely burn entirely away or be so faint as it might as well have.... But testing is in order to see what your combination of materials will do.

Terry

We fire "waterslide transfers" at ^09 I think, guessing around 750C. That's following ^04 bisque ^06 glaze firings.   I'll check my firing book in the morning. 

I have the Justin Rothshank DVD and highly recommend it. Since I fire cone 6 he suggests starting with the transfer fire at 04 and tweak it up or down from there. I fire my ware bisque 04, glaze 6, transfers 04 and it works every time. If possible I would suggest getting his Dvd as it makes the process super easy to understand and do.

Terry