How To Troubleshoot Kiln Problem

123pop

My(never used sat in a shed for 20yrs) B23H 240v Cress KIlnsitter could not reach temperature on Monday.  This was my 16th firing only.

What are steps to take to isolate problem?

1)  4 elements...top 2 are not working. Can I assume probably not elements since 2 would not go at same time and previous firing was within usual  firing time.

2) 2 Pilots ...bottom comes on and starts cycling  on/off.  Can hear the snapping and popping noise.

Top pilot light on... no noise.

3)  Going to take off control cage today (pretty dirty in there)  ..Am I looking for a broken wire?  And can anybody give me the most likely scenario and steps to take.

Thanks

Hopefully I can fix this myself. 

Does this kiln have the thumbwheel control? Cress kilns tend to have a very busy wiring system. It's like a rats nest in there. First, look for any loose or fried connections. Check all terminal connections at every part. If you can't find anything obvious, you'll have to go in with a multimeter and trace the power path and see where the problem is. Get a wiring diagram. Wouldn't hurt to call Cress, too.

Thanks all ...electrician friend checked it out with meter.  Elements look fine.  The switch seems to be working  intermittently on one side.  All others look good.  No apparent corrosion or fried parts.  Ordered switch $24 but shipping is horrendous.

Now I suppose I should refire the bisque.  Underfired bisque (was trying to go to 04) can give you lots of problems right?

Archived