Adding Speckles To A Matte White Glaze

Joseph Fireborn

I am new to this, but I have a commercial glaze that is just matte white. I really want to add a few black matte speckles to the glaze, nothing extreme just a few here and there.

What is the best way to go about this? Anyone ever done anything like this or have any tips? How difficult is it?

I am even up for making my own glaze if I need to, but I have never done that before.

yea that's what im looking for. I tired using tanspec112 to get that look, but i always had some defects in the final product randomly in some pots. Now I use little loafers, which I am in love with, it is the best clay I have ever thrown with. So I think I am going to either mix up some slip and add the illmenite to the slip or I am going to add the illmenite to my glaze

That clay is just Buff School Clay 1120-1280 fired to cone 8 oxidation in my electric kiln. No fancy speckle name, just a cheap multi purpose clay they used in my old college.

I tried my white glaze on a white stoneware and it didn't look good without the speckle from the clay.

Here is the example picture on Amazon and you can see the slight speckle.

41Tsj7kqKNL.jpg

Archived