Sign in to follow this  
art81usa

Clay For Hand Building, Tiles, And Sculpture

If you have access to Highwater Clays, made in Asheville, NC, they make a couple of good earthenwares -- Earthen Red and Lyman Red -- that would work for handbuilding, tiles, and sculpture. Earthen Red has no grog; Lyman Red has grog. Not familiar with their low fire white clays. For mid-range Cone 6, I've used Buncombe White for handbuilding (mostly slab work), and Little Loafers for both hand building and wheel. Buncombe White has kyanite and is a bit coarse. Little Loafers is a very smooth, non-grog clay. Both fire white/ivory. I've also used Red Rock for handbuilding and wheel and Riverside Grit for handbuilding.

Standard Clays should be available, I've used their 104 earthenware (with and without grog), 105 (white low fire) without problems. For mid-range, check out 112 Speckled Brown and 308 Brooklyn Red.

there  is a distributor in Richmond.  manassas clay does not deliver.  if you can locate other potters in the area and join a guild or some such, you can buy in bulk and save a great deal, especially on delivery in bulk.