My First Show!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will re arrange a bit and change the plaid out with gold.  I think I went overboard with the fall idea.  I will throw the cloths in the dryer to iron out the wrinkles too.   My second show is december 13th, so I will have a LOT to learn between today and then.   

How'd the second show go?

When I first started doing shows, a customer picked up a piece and asked "Can you do any better?"  In my insecurity and self-doubt, I misunderstood the question.  I took it literally and replied that I was quite proud of the piece and that someday I probably could do a better one, but that I thought it was pretty darned good.  The customer just stood there looking confused, but she forked over the asking price while agreeing that she thought it was very nice, too.  Experienced craftspeople next door praised me for my quick thinking and clever response, but it wasn't until they told me that she meant "Can you do better ON THE PRICE" that I realized what she'd meant  On the rare occasion since then when I've been asked if I could do better, I've deliberately misunderstood the question, telling them how it's made and the difficulties encountered and how pleased I am with it.  They're always too embarrassed to correct my "misunderstanding" and they always buy it!  

That is very clever!

TJR.

Less is more, I think, with this display. My eye can't focus with so much going on, and the things put inside of things look like someone picked something up from one place and just plopped it down somewhere else. Maybe you could accentuate the set as a set, in some way, like in a gift package (as Long Time Dabbler suggested). I think the fabric is a major problem--looks too much like rumpled bed sheets. Is there a way to get backdrop fabric that is a tad more sophisticated, maybe in a color that stands out from the white tent and goes with the colors in the pieces but doesn't overpower the goods, like the gold and plaid did? I'd move away from the yard sale look by using different elevations to showcase items and by leaving more "white space" between pieces. Nothing wrong with unfinished wood--personally I like the simplicity of that, and it doesn't detract from the pottery. Maybe instead of putting things inside the upended crates, where they get lost visually, turn the box to bottom up and just use the top surface, placing a companion piece in front.  You may lose a little room but it is the overall visual impact of a display that entices people in. With less clutter, when you sell a piece you'll just put something else out in it's place. To connect with your shoppers, you could say something like "I have that in a few other colors if you'd like to see." and have the overflow handy but not too obvious. Best wishes--you must be very excited!  

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the compliments. Yes I had coco and candy canes because it was 3 weeks before Christmas. I was trying I create a gift idea in their minds.

The vase with the blue dots is going to be featured in the museum of Wisconsin art Cedarburg artists guild debut juries show. The dots mimic clay particles expanding with the belly. It's my first juried show. I am quite excited.

Thank you for the compliments. Yes I had coco and candy canes because it was 3 weeks before Christmas. I was trying I create a gift idea in their minds.

The vase with the blue dots is going to be featured in the museum of Wisconsin art Cedarburg artists guild debut juries show. The dots mimic clay particles expanding with the belly. It's my first juried show. I am quite excited. I will try to post a pic of it when I able.

great news!   :)  :D  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :)  now you can call yourself a ceramicist or ceramist or whatever the current spelling is.  not a potter if you are going to be artistic enough to envision clay and show how it expands!  see the recent info re "what do you call yourself".

Thanks crusty-  i don't mix my own yet.  I have been settling in on my favorites but I have a lot of commercial glazes that I was experimenting with layering.  Lately I have been just trying to focus on oxide wash with clear glaze and the green that I have in my profile picture (which I have glaze mixer make for me)  I have been narrowing down my favorites lately and plan to work with just a handful until I develop my own. What you see there is a lot of experimentation

Archived