My First Show!

A $50 float should be lots for one day. The specifics depend on your prices, ie. if your prices are all in $5 increments, you probably won't need anything other than $5 and $10 bills.

Skip the candle. 1) it's a fire hazard and your sale probably has codes of some kind to deal with, and 2) scents are subjective: not everyone likes your favourite, and they can be off-putting. If you want a scent, try putting out food, like cinnamon sticks, or pomanders.

http://handmadelives.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/craft-show-preparations/

This lady has some excellent ideas on a sale day kit. She's out of the UK, and paracetamol is Tylenol. I had to look it up.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon my punctuation and grammar, I am coming out of a 2 month busy family marathon and now after this show, my brain feels like it's checking out.  

Ok I am back from my first show. It was from 9am - 4pm.  

First off with my display I didn't display a box worth of stuff because I wanted to keep it clean looking.  I had it re arranged and Liked the way the new display worked,  there were more blocks of wood under things to create more dimension.  I was too busy to remember pictures.  There were lots of things that I learned for sure!  

First thing, I don't know if it's a good idea to have both artistic sculptural work at a craft fair.  Even though I had functional work, I think it confused some people and once some people would see the sculptures they would leave the booth. I have some nude figures and some vulture inspired work, so I might have scared off the conservative crowd.  I sold all functional stuff, and of course 80% of it was blue.  I did not have a windfall of sales, pretty much broke even from my time there, $100 booth fee, and the cost of clay and firing. (I sold $325) An art gallery owner approached me about keeping my work in her gallery. Another fair coordinator came and invited me to show at his fair, and I met some really nice potters.  (there were 6, 1 had wood fired work (beautiful work) , I was the one with more sculptural stuff mixed in, 3 others were strictly functional, and 1 was novelty crafty stuff)  I want to break free from the pre mixed glaze look and develop my own work now.  I did not have a candle, there was a poppurri lady nearby.  

I think I figured out which glazes that I like the best out of my combinations to use for my functional stuff.  There is a green matte satin glaze that I had made at glaze mixer to use on my brown clay body , and I want to use my blue oxide wash with clear coat  for my porcelain. (to appease the blue crowd but do it in a way that pleases me) Then I think I can keep my functional work to mostly those glazes and then get artsy with my other stuff. (until of course I develop more glazes, but I think it's smarter to stick to a few until I develop my own.)  

and For CHRIST SAKE everyone wants my mugs to be bigger and wants those god dammed sponge keepers!! Although I may sell those someday just to develop bottom line sales, I like to make small mugs. I am 2 brain cells away from making a large coffee mug (in blue float glaze, the size of my utensil holders) and have written in slip Here is your effing big blue mug!  LOL (not really, but It would please me to keep it in my studio to privately snicker at)  

I did not get a chance to ask the other potters how they thought the show went. The lady next to me who made crochet hats had a crowd at her booth the whole time, she must have sold at least 50 of them! Half the women were carrying fabric cat tails. (don't ask) ... I think to do this show again I would need to bring mostly functional and novelty things to sell. It's not my goal in ceramics to do, but it would at least pay some bills and be more enjoyable than working outside the home.  

Edit to add:

What I sold-  mugs, a few breakfast bowl mug sets, a gravy pitcher, spoon rests, a tart warmer, 2 utensil holders.  

There you have it! ;)

Oh, and my daughter had a little mini table with her loom band bracelets, she sold more items than I did!!  

Great effort Rebekah, you made me laugh!

Can I be so dumb as to ask what a sponge keeper is, I always think food, high metabolic rate here, but is it for cake??

Love your pitchers esp. the ones you have extended the spouts above the rim line. Nice.

Had the same experience with mug sizes a number of years ago I swear I made mugs that the average person could wash their foot in, they sold, I think you'd need a pound of tea to make the water colour in them.

But, the first cup out ofthe pot is the best, right>

Good luck ,a lot of it is the experience, recluse here I no longer venture behind stalls as my mouth filter is sometimes not in place......

I'm glad your first show experience was positive overall.

I like the green glaze you posted as well.  It has a nice "oxidized" look.

And in regards to mugs, I always tell my students, that it is my believe, if a mug can't hold a large can of "Chunky" soup, it isn't nearly big enough.  I like my mugs to be multi-purpose; soups, ramen, cereal, ice cream or just a butt load of caffeinated beverage.

A sponge keeper is a cylinder with slots on the side for a dish washing sponge. :).

Which is kind of funny.  We put sponges on holders, so they don't get "dirty" just sitting near the sink.  This is despite the fact, that no matter what we do, the sponge will always be the dirtiest item in the kitchen, and probably even the house.  

Sponge holders rock for me I make at least 60 a week. Right now a box of 86 are going to a gallery wholesale,

and I have 3 boxes of 60 each heading to a show coming weekend show. Last weekend I sold at least 60.I put sponge neoprene on my bottoms so they are no skid. I also jig cut mine-I posted this demo a few years back if I recall?

They are just one more item that works well It all adds up. mugs I make in 7 sizes 3/4# #1,1 1/41 1/2# and# 2# as well as soup and motion mugs.

Folks really like a variety

spoonrest are another that fills the small stuff void. So many potters just do not bother with these everyday items-they all add to the bowls and covered jars plates and platters.

sounds like the show was a learning curve and worked out great.

Babs I can post a photo for but need a 10% per piece export fee if thats fair?Or you could keep me in ginger cookies they where super in New Zealand so Aus must also have great ones as well-maybe a few cases shipped slow boat.

Mark

Sponge holders rock for me I make at least 60 a week. Right now a box of 86 are going to a gallery wholesale,

and I have 3 boxes of 60 each heading to a show coming weekend show. Last weekend I sold at least 60.I put sponge neoprene on my bottoms so they are no skid. I also jig cut mine-I posted this demo a few years back if I recall?

They are just one more item that works well It all adds up. mugs I make in 7 sizes 3/4# #1,1 1/41 1/2# and# 2# as well as soup and motion mugs.

Folks really like a variety

spoonrest are another that fills the small stuff void. So many potters just do not bother with these everyday items-they all add to the bowls and covered jars plates and platters.

sounds like the show was a learning curve and worked out great.

Babs I can post a photo for but need a 10% per piece export fee if thats fair?Or you could keep me in ginger cookies they where super in New Zealand so Aus must also have great ones as well-maybe a few cases shipped slow boat.

Mark

I'll give you my ginger cookie recipe," give the man a fish he has food for one meal, teach the man to make cookies or at least give the recipe and he has ginger cookies for life" a loosely quoted text.

love to see your sponge holders. Box of 86 now that is a random number, or are you shipping by weight?

and For CHRIST SAKE everyone wants my mugs to be bigger and wants those god dammed sponge keepers!! Although I may sell those someday just to develop bottom line sales, I like to make small mugs. I am 2 brain cells away from making a large coffee mug (in blue float glaze, the size of my utensil holders) and have written in slip Here is your effing big blue mug!  LOL (not really, but It would please me to keep it in my studio to privately snicker at)

Blame 7-11, McDonalds, and Starbucks -- everything has to be super-sized, grande plus, or whatever nowadays, including coffee mugs. A coffee cup for a regular 12 oz. serving just seems so . . . puny. Make 'em 20 ounces and let them double as beer steins.

I'm glad your first show experience was positive overall.

I like the green glaze you posted as well. It has a nice "oxidized" look.

And in regards to mugs, I always tell my students, that it is my believe, if a mug can't hold a large can of "Chunky" soup, it isn't nearly big enough. I like my mugs to be multi-purpose; soups, ramen, cereal, ice cream or just a butt load of caffeinated beverage.

When people go to to craft shows they see the passion in your soul...not desperation.

They want to be part of your vision. It gives them a connection to the piece.

If they like you, they will walk away with something.

This is why you find a way to make the monotonous items in a way that is uber cool and super quick.

There is a guy who throws clay on the wall and then shapes it into something useful and sells the idea that he threw it on the wall.

It's quick, simple, it's him, and it sells.

I can see your passion for pottery.

That makes Me and everyone else want to purchase your pots.

When people go to to craft shows they see the passion in your soul...not desperation.

They want to be part of your vision. It gives them a connection to the piece.

If they like you, they will walk away with something.

This is why you find a way to make the monotonous items in a way that is uber cool and super quick.

There is a guy who throws clay on the wall and then shapes it into something useful and sells the idea that he threw it on the wall.

It's quick, simple, it's him, and it sells.

I can see your passion for pottery.

That makes Me and everyone else want to purchase your pots.

. Thank you for the high compliment! I am very much involved with a love affair for clay

Babs I'm processing some today so I'll take a photo.

as far as mug size

my small is 8-10oz

med-12-14oz-this is the most popular

med Large-16-18 oz

large-22-24 oz

huge-32-34 oz

Now On a another noe you can see my super large mug on TV this next week.

I'll make a post on details on a new thread

congrates on the show

Mark

Great job Rebekah. And your after-report shows that you took it seriously and learned a lot of good ideas for the future. I hope you are inspiring others to try it!

fwiw, I only make 20oz mugs, and I am always getting asked for smaller ones :-). Just pick the size(s) you want to make and stick with it.

Archived