I Got 84 Kiln Brick But A Reduction Ain't One.

I have 84 K26 (9"/4.5"/3") insulating fire bricks and I am a little stuck as to what to do with them. I have thought about trying an electric reduction kiln but I think that is too much work for the rewards. That and I have a little 13A kiln that would be good for it if I wanted to try.

I guess my question is what would you do with the bricks?

I could build a small gas kiln. Will I be able to reach cone 10 with only the 3" of insulation? I could build an even smaller one if I used the 4.5" for the wall thickness. I would be using power burners as it is just going to be a square box. Idealy it would be designed so I could remove each wall and roof so it could be slightly flat pack and portable. I wouldn't be planning to move it a great deal but it would be good if it could break down into smaller pieces.

I have been thinking a simple updraft kiln but I have also seen Simon Leech's downdraft gas design and I like how it looks. I would need to buy some extra chimney shaped bricks but that is no problem. Updraft still seems the easiest option.

Are they really drafts if I have power burners anyway?

I want a reduction kiln so bad!

If you cant get through this tough decision, just ship them to me. LOL...

Heres a idea, you have  soft brick, maybe go with hard on the inside ?...  this is how they build massive heat systems.. They use hard on the inside and soft on the outside..

Unfortunately, 84 bricks isn't enough to build much if you want to do it properly. You could do a 13.5" (interior) square with 4.5" thick walls and 6" thick floor and top that's 12" tall. But you wouldn't have space for more than a couple mugs, which in my opinion isn't worth the effort. Get more bricks!

I got a kiln way over town that's good to me oh yeah

Say I got kiln way over town good to me oh yeah

She give me fire when Im in need

Yeah she's a kind of friend indeed

I got a kiln way over town that's good to me oh yeah

84 just ain't enough.

I found some medium duty bricks at about $1.00 that you could use as outer layer. Then you might getaway with 84. Or use them as inner surface with outer surface with cheaper material. I once had a thought of hard brick inside, fiber blanket middle, regular brick outside...... I too need more bricks.

So a 3" wall isn't enough insulation? :( Got my kiln book with me at work so if it is quiet I will hopefully get some good reading done. You're right, two mugs probably isn't worth the effort to fire.

I know I need more bricks but they keep looking at me when I go in the studio. Have to keep my eyes open for some cheap bricks. Maybe the hard brick is a good idea then I could do some salt firing too. Love a bit of salt glaze.

In theory a thinner wall can work. The round updraft kilns like the Olympic Torchbearer models function with 3" brick, after all. However they have the benefit of being strapped together by the outer sheet metal skin, which keeps gaps and air leaks to a minimum. And even then they are very inefficient and uneven. If you were to dry stack IFB in a 3" wall configuration as a rectangle it would be quite leaky, even with angle iron on the corners. All the little leaks ad up to quite a bit when dealing with high fire. In theory it will work, but in practice I think it won't. At the very least you would need to mortar the joints. If you search the forum you'll find many many posts about people trying to get to high fire temps with shortcut kilns and they always have problems. If you're looking for something to tinker with, and have the time and money to waste on something that may or may not ever work, then by all means have fun with it and give it a try. Tinkering is one of my favorite hobbies, too. But if you're trying to build something on a budget and need it to work, then wait for more brick, like several hundred, and build a proper kiln. Even if you just got another 150 and invested in some rigid board for the outer layer you could have a nice little functional kiln.

I built and fired a small salt kiln in grad school that was big enough for one 12x24 in shelf- 27 inches tall with 27" x 22.5" interior. It was a simple cross draft with a hole in the top corner for an exit flue, and one power burner. The top was kiln shelves covered with firebricks. It fired like a charm and gave great results. But even that little kiln, which I wouldn't go any smaller than, took 500 bricks.

Thanks Neil, great advice as usual. I think I will spend winter looking for more bricks and make this a spring project next year. Always looking for something to tinker with but I would also like it to work well.

Do you have any pictures of your old salt kiln?

Sorry, no photos. That was pre-digital or cell phones.

I built and fired a small salt kiln in grad school that was big enough for one 12x24 in shelf- 27 inches tall with 27" x 22.5" interior. It was a simple cross draft with a hole in the top corner for an exit flue, and one power burner. The top was kiln shelves covered with firebricks. It fired like a charm and gave great results. But even that little kiln, which I wouldn't go any smaller than, took 500 bricks.

I was reading Phil Rogers book, Salt Firing, and he tells a story of Walter Keeler, renowned for salt firing, building such a small kiln in about an hour. Seems Keeler had agreed to sending pots to the Victoria and Albert for an exhibition but had no salt kiln. The small kiln was large enough to fire six tall jugs. (see pages 163/164 for the story). Rogers also has the plans for a ~500 brick small salt kiln, about 12 cu.ft. in the book (pages 68 to 72), including materials list. [Cue the rush to Amazon to order copies of Phil's book).

• 7 months later...

Hi All:  I am hoping someone can help me out.  I have a line on 250 straights bricks marked MRC along with some shelves and soapers marked KX-99 (which I know are high duty). I want to build a salt kiln...yes I love the salt!  My concern is that the 250 bricks are not high fire enough to withstand a Cone9 salt firing.  Does any one know?  I would be very happy if they are useful.  Supposedly they were fires to a cone 9 but I have my doubts.  The bricks look almost new for sitting outside for 40 years.

~Barbara

Many thanks.  

Hi All:  I am hoping someone can help me out.  I have a line on 250 straights bricks marked MRC along with some shelves and soapers marked KX-99 (which I know are high duty). I want to build a salt kiln...yes I love the salt!  My concern is that the 250 bricks are not high fire enough to withstand a Cone9 salt firing.  Does any one know?  I would be very happy if they are useful.  Supposedly they were fires to a cone 9 but I have my doubts.  The bricks look almost new for sitting outside for 40 years.

~Barbara

Many thanks.  

What state are you in? can you post a photo of this brick and are there any other markings on them-what size (exactly)are they and how much to they weigh?we need more info to find the maker.

Mark

Thanks I have a picture and they are standard straights 4.5x2.5x9" but I cannot seem to attach a picture here.  The usual photo icon requires a URL??? Is there another way to post an image.  The fellow does not have the weight.  They were purchased new in upstate NY about 40 years ago along with some KX-99 soaps that I know are capable of cone 9/10.

~Barbara

No you do not need a URL-just make sure your photo is not to big.

Mark

How do I attach an image?

First, you might need to resize your image. The maximum files size for each post on this forum is 500kb. In Photoshop (or similar program) make sure your image is RGB, 72dpi, and we recommend under 600 pixels wide. Then go to File > Save for Web & Devices. You should see 4 versions of the image at differing levels of quality and file sizes. Choose the smallest file size possible without compromising your image quality. Then click Save.

After you have your image resized, go to the bottom of your post and click More Reply Options, then to Attach Files at the bottom of the page. Click Choose File button. Navigate to your photo on your computer. Choose the file and click the Attach This Filebutton. You will see a small thumbnail of your image on the left and an Add to Post button on your right. Click the Add to Postbutton. 

Thanks so much for your help.  I already have insulating brick...about 800 which I thick is twice what I need for the outside insulation. This would get me at least partway and then I would have the money for super duty and lighter shelves.  I am also research floating slab construction as I live in Maine and this last winter was long & cold!

~Barbara

The company is still in business-call them about these bricks as far as specs

I have a salt kiln and what would work best is high alumina bricks-they do not have to be this to work just a tad better. If you can buy these cheap I would after talking to Maryland Refractories first for the specs on temps.

http://www.mrcgrog.com/

Mark

Mark:  Thanks... I did call them and a Missouri manufacturer. Both state the bricks are not theirs.  I called Mt Savage and Valley Steel who bought Maryland in 2009...they have only made grog.  I've searched the internet and read posts like these looking for a lead.  People have been very nice...but no one seems to know the source.  I've even discovered their are brick collectors who seek out stamped bricks but no one has been able to give me any definitive info. The only thing I know is that the seller bought them all at the same time...the KX-99 soapers, the shelves and the bricks and they were new 40 years ago. He claims he only fired the kiln about 3 times. He's an older gentleman. My brain says don't get something that may not be right, my gut tells me they must be high fire if they were purchased to build a kiln. I have access to a truck this weekend and can make the road trip...but it's about 14 hrs of driving total. I have not seen much in terms of used kiln brick in New England and I am trying to cut some costs. If you walked in my shoes what would you do?  I have already put a lot of time into scouting these out.

Many thanks for your advice...maybe save my money, my gas and my time to get the high alumina ones?

~Barbara

These appear to me to be high fire bricks but I'm only looking at the photo. High fire bricks are always (usually) stamped  and are acurate sized vs say chimney bricks that are made with looser dimensions and have no stamping on they and are made for lower fire applications.

If the price where right I would scoop all this up.The only thing that will degrade them is thawing and freezing over time but they look good in the photo. One thing about this pile is there are some other bricks that are not as good in photo and those should have less value-

The only good thing is the 250 hard bricks the rest is shoud be about free.New hard bricks range 3$-5$depending on quantities.Other than a 7 hour drive each way you have not metioned how cheap $$ this pile will be

.250 bricks is not that many really for an inner kiln layer  so the deal should depend on price-since you are so far away factor the gas/time and those bricks better be no more than 1$ each.Its a one day in your life deal so its more about the price. This pile will weigh a lot so that truck better not be a old toyota.

Mark

Thanks Mark!  I think I am going to pass.  I just found two others in my area building kilns and if we order a large bunch of bricks together...we should be able to do better at the price and freight. I did buy 800 K23 & K26 soft brick that have been stored inside for a little more than a dollar each...so I will go get those instead and that will be enough driving for me. They should be enough for an insulating layer and I'll save my back too.

Thank you for your advice.  if the fellow doesn't sell the hard brick and he drops the price a little...i may do another road trip...they certainly could help with the chimney!

Thank you for all of your advice. When I start building I'll touch base again.

May your salty pots bring you joy and happiness!

~Barbara

Archived