Skutt Model A Wheel Used

We are going Saturday to look at a used Skutt model A wheel.. its in good condition and I am told it works just fine and has had low usage...

What I need is some help on what to check to make sure it is in working condition.. it has a foot controller with it ...

Thank you~Jim

post-64659-0-62755200-1411497414_thumb.jpg

post-64659-0-62755200-1411497414_thumb.jpg

I'll tell you what I would be looking at. Does the wheel have a nice range of speeds? Does it rotate at a steady not jerky rate? Can you slow it to a crawl and it stays constant? Does it stop when you want to? Also when it's turning put your hands on the wheel head and apply resistance, If you stop or slow it without a great deal of force, that could signal transmission, motor, belt or some other kind of problem. It could be minor or major and would take some further examination. Another consideration is the availability of parts.

Well any older equipment is going to likely need some work here and there but if it truly is lightly used and it passes both the test above then I'd say go for it and start throwing some clay. Buying used equipment is always risky but a good wheel for a couple hundred bucks seems like a no brainer. Around here good used wheels seem to be in the 5-600 range. Good luck!

all belt driven, we will pass...

Why? Belt drives, by definition, are much more simple (=reliable) than gear drives, very inexpensive and easy to repair and, with all probability, less noisy.

Many types of machinery benefit greatly from using gear drives, but a pottery wheel, esp., an old one, is not one of those, IMO.

that is actually a Skutt and Sons model B, im not sure what year but, the age of it and what I would have to go through to change the top belt is really what turns me off.. I have not seen a rope driven system although I understand how it works... I just don't think it would make a good first wheel for us..

This whole system as well as the wheel is a really old wheel.

My worry is not the belts its all the other parts-wheel head bearings -shaft pulleys all are so old replacement is an issue-looking at the guts its a three belt drive-very old school.

You can call skutt and see whats available for this wheel. If its Zero than forget it.

The belts are all findable-the other parts are the issue. This is a rope controlled pedal which has its own issues as well.I threw on one of these about 40 years ago.

I would hold out for a modern wheel.

Mark

• 5 years later...
13 hours ago, Lianimals said:

If y'all are still out there on this topic, I have the exact same model.  Still works really well and I actually kinda love that it's heavy as heck.  I don't even have to secure it to anything and can put alot of heft into it.  Anyway, if the person still has it, I'd like to talk more!  They're hard to find.

ha ha, hopefully they are not still trying to move it 6 years later :-) 

lol funny, we got the Clay Boss and 2 weeks later picked up a brand spankin new J-230 18x27 L&L manual kiln still wrapped up and on the pallet with kiln shelf kit . Plus a used Shimpo Velocity that was and still is in good shape for $300.00 ..  you talk about 2 happy potters doing a little dance ...

Edited by Crusty
add info

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 8:53 PM, Lianimals said:

If y'all are still out there on this topic, I have the exact same model.  Still works really well and I actually kinda love that it's heavy as heck.  I don't even have to secure it to anything and can put alot of heft into it.  Anyway, if the person still has it, I'd like to talk more!  They're hard to find.

I just purchased one of these wheels! It didn't come with a pedal or legs though! If you have any information, I'd love to talk about it! I'm going to build a stand for it soon!

The (beefy casting, very heavy, smooth, impressive!) pedal on my late model Skutt has a small potentiometer in it; the actual electric part is rather tiny, especially in contrast to the housing.

No idea how your antique-ish motor is controlled, hence, no idea if this could help at all ...Skutt's current line up has the standard or "SSX" control board (both by Minarik), big motor, heavy foot pedal, tiny potentiometer within.

Shout if you're not finding source of this pic, are interested in Minarik documentation, would like spec on that potentiometer (it's just a few screws to get to it - I hadn't noted any specs on that part...).

potent.JPG

Edited by Hulk
shout if

23 hours ago, Hulk said:

The (beefy casting, very heavy, smooth, impressive!) pedal on my late model Skutt has a small potentiometer in it; the actual electric part is rather tiny, especially in contrast to the housing.

No idea how your antique-ish motor is controlled, hence, no idea if this could help at all ...Skutt's current line up has the standard or "SSX" control board (both by Minarik), big motor, heavy foot pedal, tiny potentiometer within.

Shout if you're not finding source of this pic, are interested in Minarik documentation, would like spec on that potentiometer (it's just a few screws to get to it - I hadn't noted any specs on that part...).

potent.JPG

Thank you! I'll look into it!

• 1 year later...

My neighbor just gave an old  Skutt model B to my son and we're planning to rehab.  Actually still hoping the motor works. The carcass is a little rusty but it's in generally good shape. I'm randomly looking for any kind of source for spare parts, belts in particular, if anyone has any suggestion??  Will post some before after photos

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is much cleaner and in great condition compare to the photo of this one.

And the original legs are attached too.

It's so hard to part with an old time friend since 1972, know what I mean?

I want my wheel to go to a good home that will love it as I do.