Sign in to follow this  
Crusty

Skutt Model A Wheel Used

We are going Saturday to look at a used Skutt model A wheel.. its in good condition and I am told it works just fine and has had low usage...

What I need is some help on what to check to make sure it is in working condition.. it has a foot controller with it ...

Thank you~Jim

post-64659-0-62755200-1411497414_thumb.jpg

post-64659-0-62755200-1411497414_thumb.jpg

This is an older wheel it looks like-make sure the wheel head is true(not bent) when spining.

Its been to many years since I threw on this to tell you anything else

the foot pedal should work well as well.

Mark

I'll tell you what I would be looking at. Does the wheel have a nice range of speeds? Does it rotate at a steady not jerky rate? Can you slow it to a crawl and it stays constant? Does it stop when you want to? Also when it's turning put your hands on the wheel head and apply resistance, If you stop or slow it without a great deal of force, that could signal transmission, motor, belt or some other kind of problem. It could be minor or major and would take some further examination. Another consideration is the availability of parts.

their asking 250 for it...

if it has a reduction drive in it, it may be worth it ,, but if its a belt drive I don't think it is.. those gear boxes are  not cheap!!!

Its a Model B not A

Well any older equipment is going to likely need some work here and there but if it truly is lightly used and it passes both the test above then I'd say go for it and start throwing some clay. Buying used equipment is always risky but a good wheel for a couple hundred bucks seems like a no brainer. Around here good used wheels seem to be in the 5-600 range. Good luck!

all belt driven, we will pass...

Why? Belt drives, by definition, are much more simple (=reliable) than gear drives, very inexpensive and easy to repair and, with all probability, less noisy.

Many types of machinery benefit greatly from using gear drives, but a pottery wheel, esp., an old one, is not one of those, IMO.

Stephen likes this

that is actually a Skutt and Sons model B, im not sure what year but, the age of it and what I would have to go through to change the top belt is really what turns me off.. I have not seen a rope driven system although I understand how it works... I just don't think it would make a good first wheel for us..

This whole system as well as the wheel is a really old wheel.

My worry is not the belts its all the other parts-wheel head bearings -shaft pulleys all are so old replacement is an issue-looking at the guts its a three belt drive-very old school.

You can call skutt and see whats available for this wheel. If its Zero than forget it.

The belts are all findable-the other parts are the issue. This is a rope controlled pedal which has its own issues as well.I threw on one of these about 40 years ago.

I would hold out for a modern wheel.

Mark

Mark we purchased a Clay Boss last night after talking about all the used wheels  we have seen and what type of shape their in.. I think it will be a better starter wheel for us,plus warranty. We can always upgrade in due time.