Does Use Of Masons Stains Require Reformulation Of Formulas?

hershey8

Let's say you're mixing up a 20x5 clear base cone six glaze(Tony Hansen) that allows certain colorants (cobalt carb, copper carb etc)to be added in small amounts. Can you simply substitute mason stains for colorants, or do you have to reformulate the recipes. I'm pretty sure if I substitute,say, 2%  Mazerine (mason stain) for 2% cobalt carb., I wouldn't get the same color. But will it alter the glaze in any other way?  The recipe I'm using is: Wollastonite(20), Frit 3134(20), Custer Feldspar (20), Epk (20), Silica (20). thanks, ja

YOu wouldn't get the same colour but you would not need to reformulate the base recipe in my experience. Some stains may be  more fluxy, new word, but by adding it by a small percentage and I am suggesting that 2% is small and doing a run with small increments you should get what you want. If your base glaze is not a running one you should be fine, place on a biscuit if worried.

There are, or course, exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking a colorant will not effect the melt of the glaze. Different colorants require different percentages, as some react much more strongly than others. 0.5% cobalt carb will give you a strong blue, but the same percentage of iron oxide won't do much at all. There are also limits to how much of any one colorant or oxide can be safely used in a glaze. And certain colorants require specific ingredients in a glaze in order to achieve the desired color.

Archived