Chattering Patterns

Babs

Leather hard is the norm recommended, I certainly don't like it any drier than that and I have done successfully it a few minutes after throwing, (then you can stretch/rib the pot out after chattering for a different effect)

If your tools are homemade and have a long shaft/handle area (parallel-ish to the pot) it may make a difference where you hold it.

Wheel speed needs to be fairly fast (certainly as a starting point) and if your chatter tools are home made you may have to experiment a little with the angle of attack  - once it's working right you'll feel/hear it. 

Quite a few related items here:- http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-arts-daily-site-search/?cx=001510309991982260494%3Afn9s4gctyhs&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=chattering&sa.x=13&sa.y=17

I like the chattering effects that Hsin-Chuen does. The pots where he does the top 1/4 in the long chittering effects in a light brown glaze then does a solid dark color below are just beautiful. 

Here is a link of some of his finished chittering pots that I love  the blue brown one is my fav. the video min linked is excellent.

Archived