Repair Bisque Piece?

Rebekah Krieger

My favorite bowl exploded in the kiln (bisque fire) It's completely in tact except for a sculpted appliqué piece (I actually put the clay on the piece and then sculpted it) I REALLLY want to save this bowl.  It's my largest bowl yet 8#, and had a face sculpted in it.  The front of the face blew right off... :( 

Would a paper clay mixture actually help repair bisque?  Just water/slip?  

post-19612-0-80148400-1410755168_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-95084200-1410755180_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-80148400-1410755168_thumb.jpg

post-19612-0-95084200-1410755180_thumb.jpg

Do I need to wait for it to be bone dry again to re bisque?

The original blow out was likely due to the thicker sculpture not being dry (and being blasted off the side by the resulting steam) or not being attached properly (mismatch between dryer bowl and wetter sculpture or not getting a complete seal that left an air bubble between the bowl and sculpture). Been there, done that.

Suggest giving it some time and letting it dry. And remember, you can't fall in love with a ware until after glaze firing. :)

AMACO has a product to fix bisque ware, I can't remember the name of it at the senior moment I am having.  I have used it several years back and it seemed to work well enough.  On the pieces I possibly would have used it on I have discarded, thankfully there have not been that many with a problem.

AMACO has a product to fix bisque ware, I can't remember the name of it at the senior moment I am having.  I have used it several years back and it seemed to work well enough.  On the pieces I possibly would have used it on I have discarded, thankfully there have not been that many with a problem.

its called bisque fix-it works very well but can show thru a glaze if not cleaned well at repair.I used some this week.

I think this is one of the best products for this and its pretty cheap.

Mark

Archived