Best Heavy-Duty Banding Wheel Currently Available?

Was wondering if anyone knows which is going to be the best and longest-lasting banding wheel available right now?

I'm looking for 10-12" wheel head, with maybe 4" rise.  They need to be heavy-duty and hold up to undergraduate abuse with heavy sculpture on them (maybe 50-100#+)

So far, the Shimpo units seem to be the better-built ones on the market, but maybe there's others?

If there's nothing on the market that fits these requirements - anyone made a banding wheel using the rear wheel hub/bearing assembly from a FWD vehicle? I think I even came across it on the net many years back (that's where I got the idea i guess), just haven't found the right hub assembly that's flat on both sides for mounting to steel plate.

I have a large Shimpo and love how it's mass gives it a great deal of inertia when spinning. Keeps spinning so easily. Paid around $100 for my model. It makes spraying glaze easier, too, since I am able to focus on spraying rather than trying to get a nice even turn of the banding wheel.

I have used other brands but clearly favor the Shimpo.

I have an Amaco and love it. The new one is made by Brent, good for 200# and is drilled for batts.

I have had my hands on the Shimpo's and they seem to be well worth the price. I havent seen Shimpo list the weight capacity.

Its kind of funny that Brent can offer a banding wheel for less than the cost of the wheel head by itself.

I belonged to a sculpture group for 10 years and we would make them out of formica sink cut outs and lazy susan bearings for cabinets.  I tend to work big and never found anything they couldn't handle in weight.  They are larger than 12", they range between 16" and 18" because of the cut out sizes.  We got the cut outs from contractors, kitchen bath installers ect.   Denice

Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll be getting some Shimpos!  We do have some of those 12" lazy susan bearings setup as turntables, they're OK but undergrads tend to clog them with clay somehow.  I'm also just looking for something "nicer" for a tool checkout system.

Still going to try to build an HD turntable sometime this year.  Last year our Sculpture lab acquired a bunch of free umbrella stands, so I snagged 2 of them for future HD banding wheels.  Material is 2ft square, 1/2" thick steel plate, uber heavy.  Should make a nice turntable with a hub bearing from the junkyard.  I'll be sure to share my results.

Archived