Pinholes After Decals Stoneware

Thrown_In_Stone

Hi everyone,.

I usually fire little decals with my logo on to the bottom of every ceramic item I produce.

I have just moved from Earthenware to Stoneware after having had excellent results with Earthernware decals but after doing the decal firing on stoneware I am getting pinholes and bubbling all over the stoneware glazes (not just on the decal but everywhere). I have followed the firing schedule my decal supplier has advised which is 250ºC/hour up to 830ºC with a 15 minute soak, natural cooling. The colour of the glaze also changes slightly.

The stoneware is cone 6. And the glaze is mostly Potter's choice to ^6. There are also other brands of glaze which is affected.

Any Advice?

Would you increase the temp of the decal firing in the hopes that it will heal over the pinholes or reduce the decal temp in the hopes that it will stop the glaze melting so much. (And what temperature would you recommend).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Not sure of the type of decals you are using but the laser transfer decals I make myself fire out beautifully by putting the transfer pieces through with my bisque loads. I use little loafers cone 6, Amaco and coyote glazes, slow bisque to cone 04, slow glaze to cone 6, no special holds or controlled ramping other than the regular pre programmed settings on my kiln controller. I put them on all the different shelves intermixed with the bisque stuff and have never had an issue with pinholing.

I always recommend people to test the decals at different settings since the way my kiln fires could be vastly different than theirs. I got lucky in that they fire in with my bisque loads but have had people have to run them through by themselves at a different cone and on a differing firing schedule like a fast glaze instead.

Not sure if this helps!

Terry

Archived