Can A Candle Produce Enough Heat To Fuse Lid To Body?

dhPotter

Some success...Yellow China Paint stuck to the cone 6 glaze in a couple of minutes.

Four tests:

all used a 5.00 candle from Wallmart, and picked yellow china paint because of its low overglaze temperature.

Test 1 china paint on commercial tiles

Test 2 china paint on commercial tiles

Test 3 china paint on a cone 6 clear glaze shard

Test 4 china paint on two face to face shards cone 6 clear glaze

Test 1 and 2 The commercial tiles had too much surface area and never came close to temp., even after a couple of hours.

Test 3 was a shard of standard 240 cone 6 glazed ceramic overglazed yellow china paint with held by tweezers and hemostats. The shard was held directly in the hottest part of the flame.

The shard went to a dull red in a couple of minutes and the yellow was fused to the surface of the glaze making Me think it would be possible to stick two pieces of ceramic together with a candle.

Test 4 Holding the two pieces together was a bit of a trick. The tweezers and larger pieces of ceramic were a heat sink.

Two tries and no success. It may be possible, but with out a hotter flame I would doubt that larger pieces like a lid would stick at all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty cool to see the scientists of this forum at work.

To re-iterate...

The glaze drop on the lid flange must have been hiding on the wax on the lid flange after dipping in the glaze.  After the glaze firing, and after removing the lid I was amazed the lid did not stick to the body.  Placed a 2.5 inch diameter by 3 inch tall candle in the lantern, lit the candle, placed the lid on the body and walked away for about 1 - 2 hours.  Blew the candle out.  After letting the lantern cool the lid would not come off.  Used a rubber hammer to knock the lid loose.  Found the glaze drop had fused to the body, pulling the top layer of glaze off the body at that one spot.  Tried the candle burn again to see what happens.  Test results were nothing.  The test may have been flawed because the surfaces were not glaze to glaze but rather glaze(on the body) to unglazed fired clay(the lid flange with the portion of glaze popped off the body). 

These are facts, you decide.

Some success...Yellow China Paint stuck to the cone 6 glaze in a couple of minutes.

Four tests:

all used a 5.00 candle from Wallmart, and picked yellow china paint because of its low overglaze temperature.

Test 1 china paint on commercial tiles

Test 2 china paint on commercial tiles

Test 3 china paint on a cone 6 clear glaze shard

Test 4 china paint on two face to face shards cone 6 clear glaze

Test 1 and 2 The commercial tiles had too much surface area and never came close to temp., even after a couple of hours.

Test 3 was a shard of standard 240 cone 6 glazed ceramic overglazed yellow china paint with held by tweezers and hemostats. The shard was held directly in the hottest part of the flame.

The shard went to a dull red in a couple of minutes and the yellow was fused to the surface of the glaze making Me think it would be possible to stick two pieces of ceramic together with a candle.

Test 4 Holding the two pieces together was a bit of a trick. The tweezers and larger pieces of ceramic were a heat sink.

Two tries and no success. It may be possible, but with out a hotter flame I would doubt that larger pieces like a lid would stick at all.

Am I correct that you used China paints/overglazes? Those fire between cones 018 (1322F) and 014 (1540F). Not sure that is the same as getting a cone 6 glaze to remelt, which was the case in the original post.

China paint is low temp stuff for sure-

Its going to take more than a few beers to get this pig to fly.Good thing I do not drink much.

As stated in above  post cone 6 is a far cry from china paint temps.

The real test would be load up the kiln with candles underneath  the bottom shelve and see what melts. I already know the outcome but its just a guess as I have yet to do it.

Mark

Polk fun at the china painter...I'm laughing with you. It was a nutty experiment to see what might be possible. You can rest assured that I'm flawed and my test is probably flawed as well.

My thoughts were that China paint could show what could be possible at the bare minimum temperature if you add a flux. Glass over glaze paints are china paint with more flux. The flux will soften a cone 6 glaze and make it sticky at a temperature way lower than cone 6. Reds and yellows are usually the last colors fired and can be fired at cone 019 020. To test the adhesion of China paint you can scrape it.  If you can not scrape off the china paint with a knife it has fused to the glaze. If you can scrape it off, It never made it to the correct temperature and it is just setting on the surface of the glaze. I felt that if anything could could get a cone 6 glaze to melt enough to stick at the 1400 degree or lower candle temperature, it would be with the addition of a flux. The flux would be long gone after the candle went out. If you tried to heat the lid twice it would never happen the second time without more flux.

Archived