Tiny Spoon Dilemma - Stilts? Wadding?

christina.b

I have about 30 skinny handle tea spoons that I'd to glaze and fire at cone 6 electric and are looking for suggestions on what to do so I can glaze the spoon in its entirety with out it sticking to the kiln shelf. I bought lots of the smallest size stilts that could work for the spoon part but the handle is so skinny that I fear it will slide off of a stilt with the shrinkage. my next thought was to try wadding but that would just fuse to the glaze right? Hoping for a solution but if not maybe in the future I'll try putting a hole in the handle and hanging them from wire.

If the wadding idea isn't totally awful, I'd also appreciate a recipe!

Thanks in advance,

Christina

I would make my own single pin stilts. Clay base with a single piece of kanthal wire cut with snips on an angle for the tip. I would bisque them so they shrink the same as the spoons so there is less chance of them tipping off. I would also fire them on a waster cookie in case they fall off during firing. Use as many as needed to support spoon well so it doesn't sag during firing and zig zag them down the length of the handle.

Archived