Have You Ever Done A Crazy Experiment Just To See What Happens?

That is why so many potters are centenarians!

Marcia

Because they enjoy it so much, or because they are still proving to everyone that it wasn't a crazy decision?

And I really don't recall the smell of the burning pumpkin.  I'd like to say that it smelled like pumpkin pie, but that probably wasn't the case.  I was also doing some traditional (Well, Western "Traditional") Raku in reduction with newspaper.  So I mostly smelled that.  The one I did last Fall, I tried drying the pumpkin a bit, after cleaning it out.  This year, I will do no clean at all.  I will leave all the strands, seeds and general "guts".

That is why so many potters are centenarians!

Marcia

Because they enjoy it so much, or because they are still proving to everyone that it wasn't a crazy decision?

And I really don't recall the smell of the burning pumpkin.  I'd like to say that it smelled like pumpkin pie, but that probably wasn't the case.  I was also doing some traditional (Well, Western "Traditional") Raku in reduction with newspaper.  So I mostly smelled that.  The one I did last Fall, I tried drying the pumpkin a bit, after cleaning it out.  This year, I will do no clean at all.  I will leave all the strands, seeds and general "guts".

It would be so cool if there was a pumpkin face too so the smoke and flames would shoot out! Talk about doing dumb stuff, eh?

Oh YES!!!....drove my instructors, kiln technicians and fellow students mad at college firing all sorts of things in the kilns to 'see what happens'.......

......steel at 1280C liquifies and burns through the kiln shelves destroying everything in its path

......hay/papers/woods/leaves/seaweeds etc smoke out the kiln sheds and encourage the college neighbours to phone the fire brigade

......tin/chrome formulas made whole kiln loads turn out puce-y red affecting everyone elses work as well....not popular

......the leftover slops glaze that ran and glued everyone's work to the kiln shelf

......the crackle glaze applied over a glassy parian clay body that ripped all the work apart in cooling

....etc, etc, etc.....I spent my whole undergrad experimenting rather than producing a coherent body of work, I wanted to know what 'everything' did knowing I would not have such a fully resourced ceramics studio and college library again when I graduated so wanted to learn as much as possible,..... still experiment but far more carefully now!

Irene

I am constantly in the "let's see what happens" mode ... currently firing a whole load of porcelain in that mode right now.

Do not intend to ever stay on that straight and narrow 'proven' path.

I stay away from dangerous ingredients and combinations ... I know enough to do that ... but if it is just a case of trying something new ... I'm in.

Every once in a while it comes together beautifully and you've made a beautiful work of Art.

Follow up note .... just unloaded the kiln and it worked!!!!!   :P:D:lol:

Thanks to Evelyne who sent me a pdf of a technique at just the right time .... I fired my balloon shapes upside down and it worked.

Woohoo!

Learned that I have to be more careful on support location, but am very happy I took the risk and fired them all that way.

Phew .... next?? <_<

Follow up note .... just unloaded the kiln and it worked!!!!!   :P:D:lol:

Thanks to Evelyne who sent me a pdf of a technique at just the right time .... I fired my balloon shapes upside down and it worked.

Woohoo!

Learned that I have to be more careful on support location, but am very happy I took the risk and fired them all that way.

Phew .... next?? <_<

Bigger ballooons??????

Archived