Walker Pug Mill

Biglou13

Sure Marcia read I spider bushings. Etc etc..

Previous discussion discussed functional issues

It did not cover cost , used cost, more so friend price for said pug mill in decent shape.

Bro'. Price means , friend price........

So I ask again what would be decent price for used walker in good shape???

Thanks

I would think if I had the room for it and found one in good condition, I would pay $500-$750 maybe even 1k if my needs were really met by it. For me nada as I have limited space, and really don't need one that would handle so much clay.

BigLou . . . perhaps a few more details might help: how old, how much use, any major parts replaced or all parts still original, etc. Maybe a picture. Hard for folks to suggest a price on only "used walker in good shape". Am always leery of buying from bros/friends . . . too often its a quick way for us to become ex-bros/friends.

It's in very good shape, no visible rust, helped some one buying stuff including pug mill from defunct ceramics business. So not really a bro. But I did some labor..... Dismantled and Loaded 400 ish gallon slip mixing vat, blue bird mixer, walker pug mill. Walker badge not faded. I've only seen three this one us better shape than all three.power cord does not look like original. Blades looked good no pitting in mixing chamber.

Anyone have manual for it?

I currently have a rebuilt one listed on Craigslist in Portland OR.   Research for value is all over the place.  The last two SALES on eBay were for $900 and $1025, but I also found recent sales for “AS IS Condition†as low as $300 and found one listed on an auction site for $5250.  Parts to rebuild/repair are very expensive and a drive or motor replacement is most likely not economical.  Condition is everything.

A very nice gentleman did send me a word file of a more recent Owner’s manual that I can convert to PDF.  Send me your email and I’ll gladly share.

The one I bought for $300 was from an ad from a guy in Tacoma who was asking $1000.  After many email he agreed to the price of $300.  He even delivered it for $50. The blades are stainless and perfect and the case is rust free and the unit is complete with the cover and the built in tamper.  I have run about 1000lbs of clay through it since I have had it.  The only three things that are not perfect.  The piano hinge for the top is broken, which does not affect operation since I just lift it off and place it back in the original open position.  The second is the spider bushing on the drive line has a couple of bulging area so will need to be replaced at some point however still is working fine now.  The last thing is the only real problem and that is the on/off switch.  It has a built in circuit breaker and that is starting to go bad.  It takes a couple of on/off flicks until it "catches" and stays on.  I am sure I can replace the bushing and the switch easily, but have not gotten around to it.  The hinge will just be the way it is, I have no desire to repair that. 

Still, it sounds like you got a great deal. They are the most efficient pug mills I ever used. I had an old Peter Pugger but it was rusted badly and got chunks of rust in the clay..ouch. Venco is little and slow. My Bailey de airing pug mill is not as fast as the Walker..put not too slow.

Congratulations.

Marcia

The second is the spider bushing on the drive line has a couple of bulging area so will need to be replaced at some point however still is working fine now.  

The second district I worked at, had a Walker, which I loved.  The "spider" you mentioned was also pretty beat, on the one there.  The retiring teacher said, "You should look for a new one."  I used that thing all year, and when I took a different job, and left the district, I told my coworker the exact thing the other teacher told me.  I'm not sure if he ever replaced it either.  I did try to track one down, but couldn't find one.  

There was a Walker for sale, not too terribly far from me, that I am kicking myself for not getting.  I didn't want it for me, just my classroom. I don't have the space for a pugmill, but I'd make some, for a Walker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hopper will hold about 50-100 lbs depending what you start with. With reversing switch could be used to mix, but I never did. Thing about the hopper is it is so large, you just keep throwing clay into it. The biggest thing you have to worry about with the Walker is putting so much clay in that it builds a bridge over the auger that does not self feed. Then you have to use the tamper to crush the bridge into the auger. Once you get used to it, you time how often the clay needs to be added, and you can run it all day chompin happily along.

Oil change was recommended once a year to the gear box. This was a heavy duty oil. I had it set up on the school maintenance schedule and they did it in the Summer.

Archived