What Is Your Favorite Source Of Information? You Tubes, Magazines, Internet, School?

Where do you find your source for information? You tubes, internet, magazines...which ones, workshops? school? What do you do when you hit a road block? How do you solve the problem. Where do you find help?

Have you studied in school or at a center? Do you have local help or community support available?

Marcia

All of the above. I peruse the internet on all sorts of sites including blogs, pinterest, You tube, forums, and ceramics specific sites. I also get subscriptions to Ceramics Monthly, Pottery Making and Clay Times. I buy books that I am able to peruse, or find multiple positive reviews about. I have bought, and been given DVD of ceramic specific information. I use the local library, and if really in need go to the college library. I am trying to get to more workshops for broader exposure, I love museums, and anything I can find about clay, but everything in general. I sponge it all up, hoping to retain as much as I can. However, I do have specific memory problems, even though I recognize when I have seen something before, or relate the work to a style, or some more historic precedent, for the life of my I can't really remember names of artists, or most people in general. Especially when stressed, or queried about them.

If I am stumped, usually I go into "cocoon mode" protecting myself from outside distractions, and feeding on information specific to the problem. After a lot of time of thinking and mentally solving the problem in multiple ways, I experiment with the best options until one works. Many times this gestation process involves sketches or flow charts, outlines or other organizational devices to help me visualize the situation.

The internet has been my source for information since I was about 9. Even if I am looking for information about things outside the internet, I start there. I have never been good with a book or magazine but I have bought a few glaze and one kiln book for their collections of specific knowledge. Something you can just pick up if you know the answer is probably in there.

To solve my problems I google search or come here and post if I am feeling lazy or very stuck :D .

I agree with the Pres. It's all good. But when I just got back into throwing, I went to YouTube, and I got to you, I learn more there than I did in College. But, learning is priceless, no matter where it comes from. I'm just glad someone came up with the idea. But I do like just sit and read Pottery Making and Ceramics Monthly. I don't have Clay Times, only because I just now heard of it. Thanks Pres, I have to look them up. The internet has really opened up the information highway. And I intend to take the time to enjoy riding on it.  ;)

Library- forums-you tube-

Library books may or may not have information on what your trying to learn. Or it may not be covered in depth.  which can lead you to

Forums and you tube- I have found more information on topics from these 2 sources but the books can give you pictures of older styles of pottery whether it be something useful and/or also stylish from pure form... I seen some old African pottery that was stunning, not a lot of color but the form was amazing..

Archived