Imprinting Ceramic - Stoneware

Greetings,

I am an adviser to the Theta's, and I want them to do an art project.  I saw a really neat utube on how to imprint on ceramic (and even bought the special ink-jet water decal paper to make our logos).  

Now I was pricing ceramic plates and they are exorbitant. At least it is when I need 40 plates.  But, I saw a sale on white stoneware plates.  Can I use stoneware instead of ceramic?  

Basically, you transfer the logo onto the plate and then bake it in the oven for anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes (directions vary).

So... an I substitute stoneware plates (cheaper) for ceramic?

They are SUPPOSED to be for food use!!! It's a decal with our letters Theta Gamma Pi>  

Here's the video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkJxFveQU8M 

"Magic decal paper can be used on ceramics and the designs created can be dishwasher proof. There are quite a few stages to using this paper but all of them are easy. You do need to test it before you use it. Follow all the stages and then put in the oven for approx 8 minutes to make it safe for the dishwasher. We do advise this paper shouldn't be used for commercial purposes."

I don't see why not use stoneware.

Buy one and try it.  I've been looking for something like this to buy in the UK for a long time, so I'm interested to see how you get on........  Or go to your nearest charity/pound shop/local market and buy the cheapest plain white ware you can find.

They seem to be pushing the magical dishwasher and leaving out where they say "Avoid placing decals on areas where food or drink may come into contact with it. EG for mugs, avoid inside and mouth area"

Sounds to me like the dishwasher is just a ploy to make you think it is permanent but I don't see why you couldn't use them for a small art project as long as you know they will not last forever.

I had some decals printed but they went up to 800-1000 degC

For an art project they sound great for real world use they sound like a waste of time or worse-dangerous for food use.

I do not think there has been a ceramic breakthru where you can (bake the stuff in a home oven ) and it will last or be safe to use.

Art project sounds fine as long as it not funtional.

Mark

Archived