Shinsha Glaze

marcello

Hello

I am attaching here a picture of a japanese tea cup. I was told by the potter this is Shinsha glaze, made with copper and gold"

I guess this colour is obtained by reduction. Do you agree?

Can anybody tell me a possible glaze recipe to imitate this work?

Many thanks,

Marcello

post-64537-0-21988200-1409501561_thumb.jpg

post-64537-0-21988200-1409501561_thumb.jpg

I found a link to a blog that has a recipe for Shinsha glaze.  It is a reduction glaze, does include copper carbonate in the ingredients, but no gold (that seemed unlikely to be BTW.)  It reads like a tough glaze to fire properly.

The picture looked like a copper red with some thinning at the rim making the white, and possibly another copper containing glaze producing the green down low and inside.  I am no glaze expert, but these are my observations. 

Some Google research shows a number of pots for sale with Shinsha glaze.  Most have the red/cinnabar color and blushes of green, but much less pronounced than your example, but those may be on a darker clay body.

John 

Thank you

>I found a link to a blog that has a recipe for Shinsha glaze.  It is a reduction glaze, does include copper carbonate in the ingredients, but no gold (that seemed unlikely to be BTW.)  It reads like a tough glaze to fire properly.

is it possible to post the link?

> For Cone 10, I use Pete Pinnell's copper red. 

Where can I find the recipe?

Many thanks!!!!

Marcello

Archived