Photo

How Would You Describe Your Current Studio Location. Suburban Garage, Urban Basement, Community Setup, Rural Spread?

PC question of the week

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

the kiln is in the top photo in the rear on the right. Not sure, but I think that is a wheel with a splash pan next to it in the center.I see pots drying on the left in the lower photo. It is raining on the windows.looks like quite a few projects happening as well.
Marcia

#22 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Where/how do you dry your pots? How far away is your kiln?

There's quite a lot of shelf space dotted around but I'd need to take a pic from the side to show them.

the kiln is in the top photo in the rear on the right. Not sure, but I think that is a wheel with a splash pan next to it in the center.I see pots drying on the left in the lower photo. It is raining on the windows.looks like quite a few projects happening as well.
Marcia

Yes, my kiln is there, close to the wheel , and there's another one, (my old one) under the table with the pots on.

I've usually got something going on.

I'll be working on making some improved versions (plenty of room for it) of these next.

goblettests_zpsa9967083.jpg

#23 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Suburban  garden, 8' x 10' cedar greenhouse, shared 50/50 with over-wintered-plants/potting/garden stuff. And sometimes a bike. Although it's getting more like 60/40 now as pottery is taking over..  No wheel, but kiln lives in there too, some glazes live in under-bed boxes, and (inherited) raw materials are in buckets round the back of the other greenhouse (which is purely plants, and heated to frost-free in the winter).  No heat apart from the sun, and no power sockets, so any mixing/dremelling needs an extension lead running.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#24 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:57 AM

wow, john!  don't forget windows.  

tom, heated floors are the very best!

14 years without windows sounds like a sentence!  what did you do! :)

Oh yes, so many years in the basement without windows, I didn't even think of that. Working without windows keeps you focused on the work at hand.  My new space has windows looking out into a forest, but the windows are under a deck.  I am hoping having the furnace in the basement will keep the place above freezing, if not in the 50-60s in the winter like my basement now.

John

#25 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

Urban basement ex-bedroom. I pack my work back and forth to a local Arts Centre. There are plans for a gas (hopefully soda) kiln in the back yard in the next 2-3 years.
Sorry about the vanity shot, it was for Etsy.
Cal

Attached File  image.jpg   151.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   156.69KB   0 downloads
Www.dieselclay.weebly.com

#26 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:19 AM

Rural

1 acre setting

shop is old redwood building (12x22)with add on walk thru 14x8 used for all throwing and greenware . Large covered area under metal roofs for kilns and laying out work and storing fired work and supplies like glaze materials in quantity

Car kiln (35 cubic ft) small 12 cub updraft 2 electrics and away from all this a 150 feet is a covered salt kiln .Clay shed is on road for years supply of clay.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users