Hand Building Out Door Clay Tree

i am in the process of hand building a wonderful 7 foot tree. i am creating in pieces because of my kiln size. i am not using armatures before firing. i am using pvc pipe as support inside my fired tree trunks also cement to anchor into ground. any advice on adhesives to hold up in very hot weather... live in las vegas

i am in the process of hand building a wonderful 7 foot tree. i am creating in pieces because of my kiln size. i am not using armatures before firing. i am using pvc pipe as support inside my fired tree trunks also cement to anchor into ground. any advice on adhesives to hold up in very hot weather... live in las vegas

Hello nancirose,

I would love to see your tree when it's completed! I'm very partial to large outdoor sculptures too.

As for what kind of adhesives, I've used industrial grade 2-part epoxy and JB Weld. You can find both products at your local Home Depot.

For the trunk of your tree, you may also consider cement grout between the pieces. Using PVC pipe as interior support may not be strong enough as they are flexible. Rebar will be stronger but more difficult to work with.

Hope this helps.

hi anthony, thanks so much for your reply. the cement grout between my pieces is a great suggestion and one i will certain experiment. ihave found Loctite instan mix epoxy in home depot which i have been successful with. i just visited your website and must tell you that i love your work!! when i have finished my tree, i will definitely post pictures. thanks again, nanci

Archived