Loafers Glory

grayfree

Hi has anyone used loafers glory clay and had trouble with it.  I recently got 4 boxes of dried out clay from a friend and reclycled it.  When I glazed it and fired it to Cone 5 and held for 15 minutes ( this actually gives me cone 6 in my kiln), everything I made came out horrible. The glazes looked very matt and thin as well as the clay was very rough.  I am baffled unless it has something to do with the age of the clay (about 10 years old and dried out).  The clay is suppose to be a cone 6-10 clay.  I used about 4 different glazes all that came out matt colored and awful.  Any thoughts? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Loafer's Glory from Highwater and it is a cone 10 clay.  I have also used Little Loafers and it is a cone 6.  The only problem I've had with Little Loafer's is that many of the glazes we use run really badly on it.

Loafer's Glory...……. http://www.highwaterclays.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=34

Little Loafer's………. http://www.highwaterclays.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=35

if i say this out loud i will regret it.  all of the glazes in bill van gilder"s book work so well on little loafers that i do not worry about putting it on right down to the bottoms which are waxed by dipping them in hot wax.   of course, it is not THICKLY applied.  several are in the hesselberth and roy book.

the glaze recipes in Getting into pots by george wettlaufer do not move either.  at amazon, someone called it a hippie book but the man is a ceramic engineer and has a lot to say, even in today's world.  

maybe layering several glazes on top of each other would cause running but that is not how i work.

Archived