Disastrous Firing, Work Looks Salt Fired

having so many successful firings made me careless and even though i learned this lesson years ago, i still fall for the STUPIDITY OF USING A NEW GLAZE ON LOTS OF POTS !  (well, it wasn't really a new glaze, just a new batch.)  see, i am still trying to talk myself into believing that THIS TIME IT WILL WORK RIGHT.  

just took everything out and still trying to analyse  the results.  took pictures, will ask neighbor for help posting them.  

will refiring them do any good or do i have a lot of new dog bowls?  A LOT OF THEM! :huh:

Oldlady;

It's difficult to say what the problem is without a picture. If you mixed the glaze up yourself, you may have substituted the wrong material. It may be time to get the hammer out.

It has happened to all of us.

You have my sympathies.

TJR.

the original glaze recipe called for colemanite.  i have some but used gerstley borate since that was how i made the first batch.  first batch was fine.  maybe i put it on too thin.  looks just like a salt fired piece. 7 bowls, 7 trays assorted other things.

Don't feel to bad most of us have had to learn this lesson over and over again.  I don't remember which devastating firing it was but it really sunk in that the big batch of glaze had to be tested despite testing a small batch of it first.     Denice

after looking closely at many of these pots, i think they  simply do not have enough glaze.  in addition, the glaze is not as clear as i had hoped from the tests i have done with it in the past.  even though the green underglaze test shows that the green stays green and does not go grey, i do not like the color of the finished pots.  it is sort of an ivory, not really clear.

thanks mark, i do like salt glazed pots but you cannot use a spoon inside these bumpy bowls without reacting like someone hearing chalk screeching on a blackboard.  will get photos posted.

pres, i think you are on the right track, these were mostly greenware, some were bisqued pieces from earlier this year, the others were made in the last few weeks.  i always fire greenware to glaze in a single firing, except when bringing pieces north from florida.  they need to be bisqued for the trip.

where they are obviously thickly glazed there are no bumps.  where i added a light coating of oribe green there are no bumps................mystery.

anybody need a dog bowl?  my dog has several already.  the cats prefer the river.

• 5 weeks later...

why can't u post pictures?

Right next to the 'Post' button on the lower right hand corner, is a button that says 'More Reply Options' click that and you get the reply box with more options. 'Attach Files' is right below the reply box. Below the 'Attach Files' label is a grey box and a button next to it called 'Browse'. Click the 'Browse' button and find the picture file you want to upload. When you select it is should now have the computer directory listed in that grey box. Now you must click the button that says 'Attach This File'.

The FAQ that is pinned on the main forum screen may do a better job of explaining and I attached a screen shot of what you need to be seeing when you attach the file.

Good luck I want to see your fix, must be exciting to re-fire with good results. Our re-fires hardly ever yield decent results.

post-21388-0-02076200-1411056792_thumb.jpg

post-21388-0-02076200-1411056792_thumb.jpg

Archived