Do You Have Any Big Goals For This Fall's Production?

Thought I would try some throwing, it's been about 6 years since I have spent anytime on the wheel.  I was throwing then when my right arm started giving me a lot of trouble.  Went to a neurologist for a pinched nerve in my elbow turned out to be MS.  I haven't done much throwing since then, does anyone know of some exercise that could build up my arm for throwing?   Denice

Well... not exactly immediate professional goals... but I'm starting an MFA, so I need to develop some clear project directions. Here are two things I plan to explore this fall.

1) Fountains. I've been building ceramic water features for awhile... but they're constrained by the limits of clay. I'm really interested in using metal armature and multiple ceramic sections to build some larger pieces.

2) Biosculpture. My original background is in biology... and I'm curious about the whole realm of bio-sculpture (sculptural projects that are integral parts of natural habitats). I'm considering building some larger ceramic pieces that play an ecosystem service function- for instance, water filtration. Sort of akin to what Jackie Brookner does with her projects... but using clay.

It's an 'Integrated Art and Design' program... so the focus is more on working across media to communicate. However, I plan to remain rooted in clay. Should be an interesting journey.

Thought I would try some throwing, it's been about 6 years since I have spent anytime on the wheel.  I was throwing then when my right arm started giving me a lot of trouble.  Went to a neurologist for a pinched nerve in my elbow turned out to be MS.  I haven't done much throwing since then, does anyone know of some exercise that could build up my arm for throwing?   Denice

Hate to say it but wedging!

Hi Denise, working with disabilities is difficult but possible. Work a little at a time. Do some hand building to strengthen those muscles you haven't been using on clay for a time.

My new floor is now in & equipment & stuff put back clean so now back to work. I just got a big order to complete ASAP. I'm planning on getting at least half thrown & trimmed before a fall break.

Joy

well, all of my kids will be going to school full time.  I have to either get a part time job somewhere, or sell enough pots to make a part time income.  I am going to be pumping up the production and hopefully get a schedule set for myself.  I would like to establish a few coffee shops in the area to keep a mug tree for consignment so I can have a few base sales.  

My goals for the fall and remainder of the year are: SELL SELL SELL

Crank up my eBay auctions... Having a good week EVERY auction sold this week! Only doing about 5 auctions a week right now need to get it up to 10.

Fill my etsy shop... Have FOUR whole items out there right now and still managed to sell one! So with more hoping will sell more.

Get my website filled up so can start selling more there. Redesigned it over the summer so now I need to add in items to all the new galleries.

Work on another online venue that I just set up a seller account with. Plan to offer a line that is only available through them. Have done the tests now need to decide which I like best then gear up production and get stuff listed for sale. This is the first time I will be doing something like this so it is a BIG test so will have to keep you posted on this one.

Get my blogging on a regular schedule to get more interest going. I designed a blog, The Artful Pug, that lives inside my website Pugaboo.com over the summer and have it set up that when I post one thing on my blog it appears in 6 different locations around the web. Getting some interest already but think with a better set schedule will get more. Trying to remember to post creation pictures as I make stuff but get to working and keep forgetting to stop and take pictures at the different steps! Need to do better. I am thinking I need to replace my cell phone with a better one, one that has a better camera so I can take pictures on the fly that have better quality. But need to sell to afford this so it will have to wait.

I have a new local gift shop that specializes in pet related items only that I need to get a larger variety of items made for so I can sell more. Another higher end gallery that I need to create some smaller specialized boxes for, the ones there right now are all over $200 so am thinking some under $100 and some more under $50 would garner me more sales. I'm up to 5 different locations in the area (within about an hour of me) and would like to get it up a few more. Not sure I will have the time before the end of the year to do this. Have been doing okay at the places I am at but will need to review at the end of the year to see if they are all keepers or not.

I have 3 craft fairs scheduled, 1 in September, 1 in October, 1 in November that is 2 weeks so also takes place 1st weekend in December. At that point I will pretty much be insane packaging orders up until a few days before Christmas if history has any bearing.

Need to gear up ornament creation with the holidays approaching! Need to work work work so I can sell sell sell!

Terry

Archived