Photo

Glaze And/or Clay Identification - Options?

Raku Clay Oxide Wash clay bodies glaze

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dguzman344

dguzman344

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I am working on a special project and would appreciate help identifying a glaze (Raku or otherwise) that matches closesly the tones found in the picture below. On the other hand, would it perhaps be easier to find a clay body that when fired matches this tone? From my own view, the piece does not seem to have been glazed. If that is the case, can anyone identify a similar clay body that will achieve these tones? I need the piece to look as though it is centuries old. 

Thank you!

250px-Pithos_Louvre_CA4523.jpg

#2 Tyler Miller

Tyler Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Looks like Minoan unglazed terracotta (edit--not Minoan, Archaic Greek), plain and simple.  Not even terra sig.  Decorations were likely added using a combo of techniques.  Incised, small clay additions, and slip--like Gallic barbotine technique.  The dark tones are likely dirt and char from the ruins it was found in.  If you really want that effect, smoking the pot a little or pit firing might work after bisque.  Use a groggy clay if pit firing.

Get some terracotta, fire low, and have fun. :)

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,981 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

The description says stamped or incised decoration, and terra cotta. Not glazed.

as Tyler says.

Orientalizing pithos. Found in Arcades (?), Crete, ca. 675 BC. Terracotta, stamped and incised decoration.

Marcia

#4 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

LAGUNA 900

iron wash

mason stain black wash

Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#5 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

What they said. After you make your piece, bisque fire it, then pit fire it in a barell, and you will get that black charcoal effect on the rim.

There is no glaze on this piece.

TJR.

#6 Tristan TDH

Tristan TDH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Don't know what it is.... But. I get that same warm orange tone with Highwater's Orangestone clay. You could age it with light sprayed washes of RIO

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Raku, Clay, Oxide Wash, clay bodies, glaze

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users