Sign in to follow this  
dguzman344

Glaze And/or Clay Identification - Options?

dguzman344    0

I am working on a special project and would appreciate help identifying a glaze (Raku or otherwise) that matches closesly the tones found in the picture below. On the other hand, would it perhaps be easier to find a clay body that when fired matches this tone? From my own view, the piece does not seem to have been glazed. If that is the case, can anyone identify a similar clay body that will achieve these tones? I need the piece to look as though it is centuries old. 

Thank you!

250px-Pithos_Louvre_CA4523.jpg

Tyler Miller    331

Looks like Minoan unglazed terracotta (edit--not Minoan, Archaic Greek), plain and simple.  Not even terra sig.  Decorations were likely added using a combo of techniques.  Incised, small clay additions, and slip--like Gallic barbotine technique.  The dark tones are likely dirt and char from the ruins it was found in.  If you really want that effect, smoking the pot a little or pit firing might work after bisque.  Use a groggy clay if pit firing.

Get some terracotta, fire low, and have fun. :)

Marcia Selsor    1,301

The description says stamped or incised decoration, and terra cotta. Not glazed.

as Tyler says.

Orientalizing pithos. Found in Arcades (?), Crete, ca. 675 BC. Terracotta, stamped and incised decoration.

Marcia

TJR    359

What they said. After you make your piece, bisque fire it, then pit fire it in a barell, and you will get that black charcoal effect on the rim.

There is no glaze on this piece.

TJR.