3 replies to this topic

#1 JoLinDesigns

JoLinDesigns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hello all!! I am having an issue with my small tiles crazing. Very fine lines are showing up after a month. I am using b mix clay to ^06 first then paint/glaze then firing to ^5. I have made over 100 triangular tiles. Can I glaze them again with clear glaze and fire to a low fire? Or are these trash!!!! Thanks!!! The crazing is actually pretty so I don't have a problem with it as far as visuals. My concern more so is the moisture issue. Linda

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Crazing is generally a fit issue, though it can be from cooling too quickly as well.

Is this a commercial glaze, or one you made?

A low fire clear, would help seal and smooth out the surface, over top the crazing.  Though  a clear, on top of the other glaze, can change the appearance of the lower glaze as well.  

If your clay vitrifies at Cone 5, then it should be non-porous, so moisture wouldn't be a concern.  Though if they are used for food and drink, the crazing will leave places for bacteria to grow.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

There are so mant variables more details would help

Heres a few

is your B mix cone 5 clay?

Is your cone 5 glaze homemade if so what is the formula?

What is the final use of these tiles?counters or bathrooms?-decorations on the wall?

what is your firing and cooling cycles?

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 JoLinDesigns

JoLinDesigns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Laguna B mix cone 5 clay. Mayco Clear Brushing Glaze. Speed medium/ Preheat 5 min/ Hold 20 min/ Cool @140

They are for a bar in a restaurant so moisture would be a huge issue!!

I'm not having any problems with the stroke and coat glazes. Just the triangles where I use
a velvet underglaze with the clear glaze.

I guess I'll remake them using a stroke and coat glaze. We just liked the color of the other.
I tried using Laguna's cone 5 glazes, but I really don't like the way they go on and fire. They just seemed so much thicker even when thinning, they thicken up again quickly

Just hate to see these tiles/time/money wasted!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crazing, tiles, cone 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users