How Do I Glaze Fire Spoons And Ladles?

I made a honey dipper and a spoon, each for the first time, but I don't know how to glaze fire them.  I've seen pictures of stoneware spoons and ladles online, and the pictures don't show holes (from hanging on a jewelry rack, for instance), so how are they fired?  Is it simple and I'm just brain-tired?  I think I have "potter's block" anyway, if there is such a thing.  Haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm in almost a month.  Maybe knowing how to make some spoons would get me started again.

Back when I made a ladel with every soup tureen I would wax a small spot on bottom (touch spot( on spoon end and one on handle end.

Then place that spot on a small piece of soft brick. after firing grind off any rough edges.These where cone 10 and about a foot long.

Mark

The thing with the soft brick is if the glaze sticks it breaks away easy and grinds up well. I usewd to make a lot of throwen ladels with pulled handles back in the day. The bigest issue I have with a cermic ladel or spoon is they are made to bust so so easy. I switched to very nice wooden ladels-now I do not make either form as they are slow sellers.

Mark

Archived