#1 Marian65

Marian65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationArkansas, USA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

I made a honey dipper and a spoon, each for the first time, but I don't know how to glaze fire them.  I've seen pictures of stoneware spoons and ladles online, and the pictures don't show holes (from hanging on a jewelry rack, for instance), so how are they fired?  Is it simple and I'm just brain-tired?  I think I have "potter's block" anyway, if there is such a thing.  Haven't been able to work up much enthusiasm in almost a month.  Maybe knowing how to make some spoons would get me started again.

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:19 AM

Back when I made a ladel with every soup tureen I would wax a small spot on bottom (touch spot( on spoon end and one on handle end.

Then place that spot on a small piece of soft brick. after firing grind off any rough edges.These where cone 10 and about a foot long.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

Prop the item on a stilt, then grind smooth after firing.

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

I did the similar waxing as Mark but without the soft brick. The handle of the ladle s had a large loop at the end. it was pulled so the finger ridges provided stabiliity when I set it on the shelf on two waxed spots on the handles.no need to grind them afterward.

Marcia

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

The thing with the soft brick is if the glaze sticks it breaks away easy and grinds up well. I usewd to make a lot of throwen ladels with pulled handles back in the day. The bigest issue I have with a cermic ladel or spoon is they are made to bust so so easy. I switched to very nice wooden ladels-now I do not make either form as they are slow sellers.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoons, ladles, glaze fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users