Stacking Shelves For A Skutt 1627

Recently my school purchased a skutt 1627 kiln. A hefty kiln for a school but we needed it due to the amount of students enrolling in ceramics. We also did not want to limit the size of their work so admin was really kind and bought us this huge kiln.

My issue is how to stack the shelving. When the installers came they told me the middle stilts had to stay in a triangle pattern or the bottom would crack. I have 13"x16"x1" shelving for the middle. Two of this size shelf will fit across the middle but I can not seem to understand how I am to stack two shelves across three stilts without them falling. Below is a picture with stilts in all the holes in the middle area.

KM1627insert.jpg

I was told to only use three stilts in a triangular pattern. I am at a loss. I have tried to look up utube and images and cannot find any please help. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on a nice kiln!  I'd like to have an oval, in my class, someday.  Actually, I'd prefer a front loader, but an oval is more realistic, due to the cost of the front loaders.  Either would save me from hanging over the edge of the kiln, to load and unload.

I can't really comment on, how you are supposed to arrange the shelves.  I'll let the more knowledgeable people here comment, as I would just be speculating.

What Cone do you fire to?

I tried skutts website but the 1627 is not an oval/

1st you need to understand tri posting 

On one side of shelve there is post on each corner-the other side has a post on edge in middle

If this is not clear call skutt and they can walk you thru it.

I do not know your inside chamber dimensions as they where not on the 1627 skutt kiln

what is the middle shelve dimension in photo you posted?

Mark

Mark:

I see what you are saying however would this work for middle shelves that are 13"x16", They would not be long enough to go all the way across the middle. I looked in my skutt manual and on their website and they do not have any diagrams. If you know of any images that shows this set up for shelving for 13"x16"1" shelves that would be great.

Archived