Thoughts On This Wheel?

Sorry, another one of those posts about buying a wheel. Mine died so been thinking about just biting the bullet and buying a new one. Then found a Brent CXC for sale on Craigslist, asking $750. Says "like new", so I inquired about it. The owner says it was only used a couple of times when she purchased it new in '95, but has just sat since then. No pics, and she's 2 hours away but said she'll be in my area Monday and could bring it. So my question(s) is/are does this seem like a reasonable price? Is there anything I should look for it be concerned with about this generation of the CXC? And any other input is appreciated. Thanks!

Guest JBaymore

If it is mint... that is a bit more than 1/2 price.  about 550-600 is half.

My CXC is at almost 40 years and is going strong.

best,

....................john

I own a CXC. Have used it for 35 years. Just replaced the main bearing. If you run it and there is a grinding noise, then the bearing is shot. Otherwise, a good wheel and a fair price, esp. if she delivers.

TJR.

Thanks for all of the input. I did end up purchasing the wheel. Tried talking the seller down but she was pretty firm, however I did get her to throw in about 25 bats (some look like they've never been used) and a stool. It looks like it is in really good condition, despite a light dry clay haze. Almost no rust anywhere, no dings or scratches of note. We met at a local quilt shop so I couldn't really test it out too much, but I did think to bring an extension cord so was at least able to fire it up and check that it works and the wheel head is true. So overall I'm pretty happy with the deal.

Now that I've gotten it home and been able to mess with it a little I notice this sort of "thump" sound, pretty faintly, happening at regular intervals, and becomes more pronounced at higher speed. I don't know that this is really a problem, but I'd like to check it out just in case. The head seems pretty darn true as far as I can tell, so was wondering about some possible things to check for. Potentially bent shaft somewhere? Maybe something just rubbing? Could the belt have developed a sort of dead or flat spot on it from sitting unused for quite a few years? I can kind of feel the thump when I place my hand over the cover that's on the underside below the wheel head. It's currently sitting in my dining room until my roommate gets home and I get him to help me lug it down to the basement so haven't tried throwing on it yet, but I've also got a bit more room to spread out to open it up and check it out while it's in the dining room. I want to give it a good cleaning also, and is there anything I should consider lubing or adjusting while I'm at it? Just want to have a better idea of what I might be looking for before I open it up and start messing around. Again the wheel was purchased new in '95, and was used very little so has pretty much just sat for most of that time. Thanks again!

You will need to pull that lower plastic cover off (this may require cutting rusted bolts as they are steel and could be rusted tight)If yopu do replace them use stainless steel from hardware store and you will not have this issue in your future.

Once plastic safety cover is off flip wheel up on end(the wide end) and run it so you can see whats thumping-it could be your belt or a rubbing pulley.

Mark

Popped it open (Bolts looked immaculate. I was pretty amazed. I was even able to remove one by hand. Just a few spider egg cases on the bottom). Only thing that I could see was that it looks like the pulleys for the motor and the wheel head might be misaligned a bit. Belt was riding about 2 grooves low on the wheel head pulley side. When I set it back it place is moved back down again. So guess I need to adjust one of the two. Probably give Brent a call tomorrow, but they'll probably just tell me to take it to a repair shop or send it in, considering my previous experience with their tech service.

Popped it open (Bolts looked immaculate. I was pretty amazed. I was even able to remove one by hand. Just a few spider egg cases on the bottom). Only thing that I could see was that it looks like the pulleys for the motor and the wheel head might be misaligned a bit. Belt was riding about 2 grooves low on the wheel head pulley side. When I set it back it place is moved back down again. So guess I need to adjust one of the two. Probably give Brent a call tomorrow, but they'll probably just tell me to take it to a repair shop or send it in, considering my previous experience with their tech service.

This is a common issue on older wheels-one of the pulleys has slipped.

Do not move belt-you move the motor pulley or wheel head pulley until belt lines up.. Spray some lubricant on the shaft (not wd 40 but one like liquid wrench) and let it soak awhile (keep this off the belt-so best to remove it) the next day use an allen wrench to loosen the pulley allen screw -move pully so belt lines up. tighten and reinstall belt (you will need to loosen belt tensioner 1st before removing and tight after its back on)

No need to call a tech.I have done many of these for folks with misaligned belts

Mark

Archived