Reduction Kiln- Too Early?

I second Marks sentiments and would grab it at that price. You get the guy to spend a day firing it with you and you might lose the opportunity to buy it if he fall back in love with the beast :-)

It sounds like you know the background of the guy, he built it, used it and the kiln is in workable shape. I would pointedly ask if it worked just fine the last time it was used and has anything been scavenged from it.

Its something new in pottery to learn and its a score financially so you don't have to shell out the big bucks. I think a lot of old equipment moves around in pottery like this with folks just finding a good home for something they no longer use and often don't try and milk it for every dollar they can. The trick though is to learn how to spot them as a genuine opportunity and be able to pull the trigger when you do.

The only word of caution I would have for you is to make sure you want to start to take on old kilns and old pottery equipment in general.

It can be real easy to turn a part of your yard or garage into a collection of broken down pottery equipment that can start to accumulate if you are not ready to make the commitment to keep this old stuff running and get rid of it when you are no longer using or repairing it. You can and will drop unexpected hundreds of dollars on a regular basis and its been my experience if things like this are not repaired immediately they tend to just hang around and months can turn into years so easily.  

Another positive thing to consider is that the cost of the kiln and moving it, if it works as is, is about the same as a good work shop and you would get a lot more hands on experience if you actually take it through to successful firing a few times and we all know that John, Mark, Marcia and a half of dozen other kiln experts on this board just can't resist helping a newbie trying to pull this off  ;)

IF it's 300 bucks for more than 300 bricks it's prob worthwhile:

... not even thinking for a gas kiln but to save the bricks for when you are ready to build your wood kiln!

Building even a small anagama takes a heck of a lot of of hard and soft bricks that are  roughly $3 each: so a chance to buy any bricks (presuming they are not already totally spalled or odd sized) for anything less than $1 each may be a worthwhile investment in your future !

Guest JBaymore

Building even a small anagama takes a heck of a lot of of hard and soft bricks that are  roughly $3 each: so a chance to buy any bricks (presuming they are not already totally spalled or odd sized) for anything less than $1 each may be a worthwhile investment in your future !

There are roughtly 7000 bricks ( of various sizes/tytpes) in the NHIA anagama were are currently building.

When I built my own noborigama about 35+ years ago... I spent almost 2 years amassing the refractories to do that.  Find a good deal (new or used) and buy them and pack them away for later.  A lot of the brick in my kiln came from the Charlestown (MA) Navy Yard when they were closing that down........... if I remember correctly I paid $0.25 each.

best,

..................john

You're firing an electric kiln right now?

It really depends on your life whether this will be a  good buy for you. 

Gas, oil and wood have completely different demands on you, like looking after a prem baby,as opposed to a well adjusted 30yr old living in the next state!( firing an electric kiln)   May only be me, I had a gas kiln and loved it but it did need more attention and no dipping out to do other things  as there were no safety switches on it. Would still buy one if a shed ws nearer my bed!

So if you have that head set follow it. 

Experience as much as you can from others in the meantime.

Happy days.

There are roughtly 7000 bricks ( of various sizes/tytpes) in the NHIA anagama were are currently building.

When I built my own noborigama about 35+ years ago... I spent almost 2 years amassing the refractories to do that.  Find a good deal (new or used) and buy them and pack them away for later.  A lot of the brick in my kiln came from the Charlestown (MA) Navy Yard when they were closing that down........... if I remember correctly I paid $0.25 each.

best,

..................john

"He mentioned brick rings going up to 8 feet." (earlier post from Rebekah).

Sounds like it may be a conversion built from one or more electric kilns, with segments stacked on top of each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I asked a few more questions- 

Apparently this is not the kiln he used for oil. He got this kiln from someone Long ago and he doesn't think it was ever fired. It is soft brick so It would not be a good idea to convert it to salt or soda.  I am starting to become very interested because I currently use my electric kiln and fire to cone 5/6.  I REALLY want to get more blood reds and true celadons, and working with mid fire porcelain I would like to get some high fire more translucent stuff in the future, so I am starting to think that this would work with my aesthetic. I would be able to fire a few pieces wood once in a while with the groups that are building wood kilns a few hours away, and I could always do pit and raku for less money and time investment than building a wood fired kiln. Maybe 20 years from now I will change my mind but that is far from now. As a beginner I think starting a gas reduction firing would be better than diving in to building my own LOL.  I currently get propane at my house, and I could have them add another port going out to the kiln (which I would need to build a structure for, because my garage is not big enough to add a kiln, and in wisconsin the weather is horrible to have it open being soft brick)  

The teacher that I spoke with suggested that I take the fall winter to work on starting to mix my own glazes and then I would work on building my structure etc in the spring. (otherwise i would have to store the kiln indoors for the winter). I appreciate the advice and input. If you have more advice based on what i said Please share, I am new and I am always looking to learn as much as I can.  

Edit to add- He was also gracious and offered me his "formula book" since he has not been a professional potter in many years. he said most of his work was grey but he created a perfect clear glaze that does not craze at all. He offered me some bags of (I forget what) but some items that are no longer available.  They are all up north with the kiln.  

Hey,

Can't wait to see the pictures of your new kiln and the dimentions. 

The college I fire my stuff has about 35 glazes (both oxidation and reduction)and they do include

a reduction red and one celadon. (I'm thinking its light green and transparent.)

I missed a big chance to get all the bricks I wanted when the city tore down a 1930's

warehouse downtown... The bricks were the old solid paver style.  They're getting ready

to tear down another building but I think it has the newer style from the 1970's.  But I will check.

In the early 1990's there was an independently owned local brick company and the owners were

big advocates of the arts.  They let the art dept at one of the colleges know that it was time to

systematically tear down and replace their kilns and asked if the school wanted the old fire bricks.

Well the school said sure, and when the teacher couldn't make it out there to pick up the bricks,

the company brought them to the school on a flatbed.  The school used the bricks to build a pottery

kiln, a small wood fire kiln, a small salt glaze kiln, and a smelter for metal casting work.  So, if there

is a local brick company in your area, see if by chance they tear down their kilns and find out what

they do with the old bricks.

Oh, a couple of years ago I asked a manager of the same brick company if they still gave away old

fire bricks.  Unfortunately, they have been sold to a corporative company in another state, and all the

favors and friendly co-operation between schools have since ceased.  Its all business now.  But just for

giggles,, it might be worth checking with a brick company in your area.

See you later,

Alabama

Archived