29 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, I have used bowling balls as hump molds, even used one with a wheel chair student to roll out slabs. Rolled in a circular motion, the weight of the ball does most of the work, can be finished with rolling pin and little effort.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Careful with those bowling balls if you drop one on your foot they will really hurt you.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Been there, done that! :o

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Just got the bowling ball redrilled, to see if that will alleviate some of the problem. Talked at great length to the guy that drills some them for me and learned a lot about thumb angle and bowling ball comfort. Seems one of the balls was drilled wrong creating stress on the joint.

Pres;

You may laugh at this. In Canada, we do 5 pin bowling. The balls are smaller and do not have holes. Why not move to Canada? The bowling is easier.

Tom.

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Halves or increases your chances of a strike??

#26 David F.

David F.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationMcDonough, GA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

I'm in the wedge right out of the bag/box group.

David Farrell

Glazed and Confused Pottery

https://www.facebook...andconfused1234

https://www.facebook.com/

#27 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

having a ball that is just slightly off can cause some major problems.  If you bowl on a regular basis have your balls checked every 6-9 months. Its not that the balls will change so much as that your grip will change over time.

#28 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

I finally had a break through today, with spiral wedging....... Now mine look like you tube videos.........
I'm really second guessing pug mill.............
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#29 NanetteV

NanetteV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCentral New York State

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:11 AM

Use right out of the bag. HOWEVER, before using clay the bag is dropped on all sides, about 4 time per side, from a two foot height to soften the clay. To wedge reclaim I use the slice and smack method, and use that clay for slab work. Have severe fibromyalgia plus arthritis all over the body, so varying repetitive motions and limiting time in studio a must! Would I be posting at 4 am if pain didn't wake me? Oh, well - the crickets sound lovely. :)

#30 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I wedge everything too. I only use commercial clays and I wedge them right out of the bag. I find it just makes the throwing part of the pot better. I also like the exercise same as you. I find it a nice break to bending over the wheel for a few hours, plus it just feels good to wedge for a solid 30 minutes.

Glad I am not the only one who enjoys the exercise part.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wedging, health, clay preparation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users