If You Could Have Only One Piece Of Art On Display In Your Home What Piece Would It Be?

Thats a easy one one of my jugs from my deceased mentor/teacher Resse Bullen

My Otto Hinio pot would be 2nd choice.

Now if it where a choice outside my own pots I own it would be a Hamada Bowl or Platter form.

Mark

Any one single piece of artwork, regardless of an outside force deeming it "art" or not?

It would be something by one of my children. I'm thinking probably the piece I have hanging above my bed right now. It is by my youngest, and is just a piece of paper covered in faces drawn in ball-point pen when he was about two years old.

(My home isn't decorated. It is instead covered with the evidence of creative process. And also the evidence of heavily sidetracked minds!)

post-1954-0-77929700-1407364108_thumb.jpg

OK Chris, 

My piece is one I remember from Art History..the terra cotta Etruscan sarcophagus in a museum in Volterra. After waiting 40 years to see it in person, it still amazes me as a statement of relationship and comfort in a long marriage. I am always comforted by this piece.

Marcia

Well Marcia, never having been in its presence, it seems the guy is gazing of to another world and the gal is just hoping to capture a moment of his attention,,,,,,again! :lol:  :D  :D  :D

I'd have a big terracotta form by John Dermer, I went to an exhibition of his and I could have stayed in that room forever.

This is An Etruscan sarcophagus. Women in their society were of equal status. the far off gaze may mean he has has died and his wife gazes at him as missing him. from about 300-500 BC.

I think your description nailed the intent of the sculptor. I have seen several couples displayed on these sarcophagi, but not many are in clay. Most are alabaster. 

Marcia

Michelangelo's statue of David,  I was in a sculpture group and we got to view the vatican's approved reproduction up close.  I had the strangest feeling come over me when I studied it,  I felt like I could just disappear into the statue.  I'm not a religious person, I think I was just overwhelmed by it's beauty.   Denice

So, does that mean I could only have one piece of wallpaper, or one carved ceiling rose, or one Denby vase, or one photo in a frame - or would the photo count as "one" and the frame as "two"?

Sorry, couldn't possibly live in a blank home.  Just sitting in my study, there's a clock my dad made, framed certificates, an art deco lampshade, photographs, windowsill planters from my first year of pottery classes, hand-made fabric and pipe-cleaner clowns, silk/plastic plants in the fish tank, model tractors, a Harry Potter Lego spider's web............

They may not count as "art" to everyone, but they are artistic decoration to me and part of everyday life.

Archived