7 replies to this topic

#1 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

On reading the orton site " repair and maintenance ofhte kiln sitter, it mentions aplying kiln wsh to the rod. I have never done this. Is this practised by anyone?

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

When the rod on my kiln sitter was getting a few miles on it the cones started sticking to it and causing inaccurate firings, I used some kiln wash on it until I could replace it.     Denice

#3 Matt Oz

Matt Oz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

I have not found this necessary for mid range ceramics, but low fire sticks to the supports and rod, a coating of kiln wash helps.

#4 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

Ok, Sometimes have the cone sticking to it so I'll give it a coat.

Thanks

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

I put a dab of kiln wash on the rod as well as the prongs that hold the cone. keeps things from sticking and slows down corrosion.

Marcia

#6 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

I forgot I put it on the prongs also, I didn't know that it slowed down corrosion I'm getting ready to load a bisque fire,  I'll dab some on.   Denice

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

No, I don't use wash on my rod or supports. . . wait, I don't have them! This kiln fires without the setter or any other shut off, but me.  When I was teaching I did not wash the rod or supports on any of the kilns I had. Even in the first few years when firing low fire with Amaco glazes no wash. Occasionally there would be a little stick to the rod, but a pair of pliers would break it off of the rod. Later when firing mid stoneware I never noticed any residue on the rod or supports.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#8 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Well, if you are the control Pres, you best coat yourself in some wash...

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users