5 replies to this topic

#1 grayfree

grayfree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:39 AM

Can anyone help me please?  I just saw a short video by Mitch lyons on adding pastel to a clay slab for color.  Does anyone know if these are the pastel sticks you get at the art store or are they another type made for stoneware...  It is such a cool idea.  I have done the colored slip inlay before and love it but I dont know what the pastel that he grates over the piece would be.  any ideas?

thanks

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

I'm going to guess, that it was some type of underglaze stick/ pastel. Inwouldn't think a standard drawing chalk pastel would survive, even low fire temps.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 PeterH

PeterH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

See 56secs into

http://ceramicartsda...-colored-slips/

Regards, Peter

#4 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Most pastel sticks are made with organic colors that will burn off or just turn brown on firing. I have tried this in the past and a couple of the blues  sort of came out at cone 05 but the rest were blah.

#5 sprestel@verizon.net

sprestel@verizon.net

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

I have actually taken that class with Mitch. It's just regular paint or chalk. He paints on a slab and presses paper to make a print. There is no intention of firing. As far as his ceramic "broomstick" method, those are colored slips that are pressed into the clay after opening the center with dowels. I hope this helps! Cheers.

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

That may be for the non-fired prints, however, for the slabs he makes pastel sticks with mason stains/balls as demonstrated on the dvd shown on CAD. 

http://ceramicartsda...-colored-slips/

I made some to take to France , then returned parts of them to slips. 

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users