Pastels For Color In Stoneware

Can anyone help me please?  I just saw a short video by Mitch lyons on adding pastel to a clay slab for color.  Does anyone know if these are the pastel sticks you get at the art store or are they another type made for stoneware...  It is such a cool idea.  I have done the colored slip inlay before and love it but I dont know what the pastel that he grates over the piece would be.  any ideas?

thanks

I have actually taken that class with Mitch. It's just regular paint or chalk. He paints on a slab and presses paper to make a print. There is no intention of firing. As far as his ceramic "broomstick" method, those are colored slips that are pressed into the clay after opening the center with dowels. I hope this helps! Cheers.

That may be for the non-fired prints, however, for the slabs he makes pastel sticks with mason stains/balls as demonstrated on the dvd shown on CAD. 

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/video-of-the-week-decorating-pottery-with-colored-slips/

I made some to take to France , then returned parts of them to slips. 

Marcia

Archived