Photo

Critique My Work - Anyone? - I Want To Send You A Bowl.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,067 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

The style with the reverse hand position is definitely of Hsinchuen Lin. As others have said everyone throws differently. I use the hand on the right/upright. I have thrown  with the reversed position, but found I could get a better undercut on the first pulls with the hand on the right. Just a matter of style. I am wondering how this style will work for you when you get into 10# bowls.

Keep working you are obviously on the right track.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

The style with the reverse hand position is definitely of Hsinchuen Lin. As others have said everyone throws differently. I use the hand on the right/upright. I have thrown  with the reversed position, but found I could get a better undercut on the first pulls with the hand on the right. Just a matter of style. I am wondering how this style will work for you when you get into 10# bowls.

Keep working you are obviously on the right track.

Yea, he was basically the best I could find on youtube that had clear video, went slow enough and explained his method. His style also helped as my fingers would cramp really bad due to health issues when I first started. I could probably use my fingers now, but I feel like I have more control using his style. Thanks for the kind words. I will let you know when I get to a 10# bowl. I haven't tried one that big yet!

#23 Patsu

Patsu

barely a beginner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Nicely done, good pace, well under control.  Made me a little queasy to watch, I forgot what it was like to watch counterclockwise throwing. It is different than how I throw yet, seemingly a very similar bowl!  Enjoyable video, a good bowl, with many a great form waiting in the wings no doubt, so carry on!

"In everything, never do as others do." - some ancient mystic's grandmother

#24 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Nicely done, good pace, well under control.  Made me a little queasy to watch, I forgot what it was like to watch counterclockwise throwing. It is different than how I throw yet, seemingly a very similar bowl!  Enjoyable video, a good bowl, with many a great form waiting in the wings no doubt, so carry on!

Thanks. I am doing a bisque tonight of my recent bowls that I originally posted, good ole Georgia heat with a nice hot breeze into my pottery shelves drys my pots so fast. I am going to glaze them probably Wednesday and fire that night. So I might be able to post my pictures here on Friday.

Adjusted my vent intake a little more so I am hoping my glazes come out prettier.

#25 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

grype, do not throw away your bowls!  save at least one that you like and donate the others to a nearby "Empty Bowl Supper".  look that up on the internet and try to find one that will welcome your bowls.  they look fine, a cut into the thick bottom of the wall with an angled wooden tool will remove a lot of the thickness there and make trimming a lot easier.  

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#26 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

my bowls have minor glaze defects. I am fine eating out of them because they pinholes don't hit the clay body at all, and even then im not sure if it matters, but I am not sure if others will want to use them to eat out of. i have been working to fix my glaze firings adamantly getting very close to fixed.

#27 JLowes

JLowes

Clay Doodler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia area

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I guess I am looking in late, but a couple of things I would recommend changing are the thickness of the bottom so you can trim the inside of the foot.  The reason I recommend this is that with extra thickness you can start to parallel the inside curvature a bit better.  To me the trimming of the inside of the foot looked a little flat from the pictures.  Since you like a narrow foot, leaving a lot more clay can allow you to get a more narrow shape in the foot, whilst increasing the apparent height (Google Lucie Rie and you will see what I mean.)  In your comment about one more pull to narrow in the bottom wall near the foot, I usually leave it to support the wall while throwing and trim it to my liking at leatherhard.  An alternate is to leave for a while to let the clay firm up before you continue, or use a heat gun to speed that up.

As Pres suggested, leave the rim thicker, even during the rest of the pulling, because you can thin it out if needed. You don't want a taper in the wall starting at the foot going all the way up the wall to the rim.  Nice and even is what you are looking for.

Compliments I wish to add are that your lines are very pleasing, and I do not see the "potter's hump" transition inside where you go from supported bottom to unsupported.  That is a common problem when learning to throw bowls.  Keep up the good work!

John

#28 grype

grype

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

@John: thanks for the information and the reference to Lucie Rie, her bowls are gorgeous. I am trying to leave more clay at the bottom of my bowls after many of you have mentioned it. I appreciate the help and the time you took for your reply. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Joseph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users