How Do You Deal With Injuries?

Thanks, all, for your comments.  Luckily, I'm not really in any pain, although I may have been diagnosed sooner if I had been.  Between the fall and diagnosis almost 3 weeks later I'd not only thrown lots of pots with some discomfort (ultimately drove me to see doctor), but had carried 40 lb. bags of kitty litter, lifted and pugged 50 lb. bags of clay, run a snowblower for 2 hours....  I just didn't think it was broken because I had no swelling, discoloration and very little pain.  Guess at 60 years old this is my future ;^) 

Guest JBaymore

Also pains in thumbs and index fingers require attention.

FYI........ there's a lecture at NCECA by Steven Branfman's brother, who is a noted plastic and hand surgeon, on protecting your hands and arms as a potter.

3:45pm - 4:15pm

Ballrooms D/E

Lecture: Ailments in the Ceramicist's Hands (E)

By Dr. Gary Branfman

As you manipulate mud on the wheel or sculpt amazing works, your hands, wrists, and arms take a beating. These repetitious motions of musculotendinous units can result in Repetitive Stress Injuries (RSI). This presentation focuses on the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of these ailments as they relate to the ceramicist.

best,,

....................john

This is notably off subject, but related. Last year, I had surgery on my rt thumb. The surgeon removed a cyst on the thumb, along with a bone spur that had occurred. This problem had been literally growing for over a decade, until I finally decided to have something done. Now a little side on this is that I am a bowler, that went from one night a week in 2009 to three nights a week since 2009. After the surgery, re-drilling the balls, and trying to get the right fit has brought up interesting understanding on my part as to how stresses from holding the ball, the angle and pitch of the thumb hole, and even the shape of the thumb hole, effects the joints. If I had known now, what I know back then, I would have made certain to have the ball re-drilled for the stress factor to be alleviated.

Point being, be careful with any sort of brace, make certain fitted properly  by a pro. If having problems, maybe video yourself or have someone watch you. A video can be taken to a sports therapist and analyzed for improper joint stresses.

Proactive preventive measures could end up saving you a whole lot of pain and stress in the future!

Best,

Pres

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side thought, and one that I would not suggest to a potter in normal health. As I have modified tools for handicapped students in the past, with great results, and as I just came back from NCECA. I saw this tool demonstrated, and realizing what you may be dealing with, this could help: Google potters centering aids, and look at the options.  I can say that I saw one of these demonstrated at the conference, and for some situations it may be a solution.

best,

Pres

Archived