A Change Of Direction

Sounds exciting doesn't it?    But it's just one pot. :D

I have a small lidded pot which is at the bone dry greenware stage.

The wife wants a pomander for her wardrobe.

I suggested that I could make holes around the top half of this pot and in the lid.

(I'm going to make a couple anyway, but don't particularly like this little pot and tucked away in a wardrobe is the best place for it).

I'm planning on using a cordless drill and a 2mm HSS  twist bit.

Will this work OK with dry greenware or would I be better off to re-wet the piece to some extent?

Put it in a damp box for a few days and it will moisten up evenly, then get it to dry leather hard and use hole cutters. I use the boxes all the time with my pieces - sometimes to re-hydrate a piece, sometimes after adding decorative elements, so that everything moistens/ dries evenly - it increases success rate enormously. 'Damp box' (AKA 'Magic Box' - see Youtube video by Tim See)= standard lidded plastic crate with 1/2 " plaster, cast in the bottom. My best piece of equipment ever!

Thanks Celia, I have an improvised version of a magic box, it's in there now.

I'll look into hole cutters, I've used them, I know they work fine, never owned one, (apart from a couple of home-made ones of my own, but nothing as small as I want for this).

Put it in a damp box for a few days and it will moisten up evenly, then get it to dry leather hard and use hole cutters. I use the boxes all the time with my pieces - sometimes to re-hydrate a piece, sometimes after adding decorative elements, so that everything moistens/ dries evenly - it increases success rate enormously. 'Damp box' (AKA 'Magic Box' - see Youtube video by Tim See)= standard lidded plastic crate with 1/2 " plaster, cast in the bottom. My best piece of equipment ever!

Thanks for reminding me, this has been one of my "gunna" projects for some years now!! Oz phrase for going to, some folks have even been given it as a nickname..

Thanks for reminding me, this has been one of my "gunna" projects for some years now!! Oz phrase for going to, some folks have even been given it as a nickname..

You need one of these.

round-tuit-150x150_zps8a34414a.jpg

Tattooed on my frontal lobe!

Archived