Kitchen Backsplash Tiles, Has Anyone Done It?

I am going to take on the challenge of making my own 3 x 5 subway backsplash tiles. I took a tile-making class back in the day in college, and roll slabs currently for my own pieces a lot. I make and sell a lot of slab-oriented items so I can successfully roll the slab flat and keep it flat through the firings. 

So my questions are these...

Has anyone every created tiles for there home? If so what was your experience?

Is there anything special I need to consider when doing this?

Is there any way (apart from rolling on dowels and without a slab roller) that I can get a consistent slab thickness from tile to tile?

Thank you for your advice!

~Dianna

David Norton lives in a very old house with a small bathroom.  he made all the tiles for it including special bullnose ones for the edges.  each shape was slab built or extruded.  you might ask him since he did the entire room.  david norton, potterosa pottery, round hill, va.

I have made thousands of tile for murals and back splashes,  the main thing is to make plenty and don't worry about imperfections in them.  The glaze made have a slight variation in color due to placement in the kiln, you may have some slight warp.  All these imperfections make them more beautiful when it's hand made tile.  If I have back splash with nearly perfect tile people walk by it, but the imperfect tile gets oohs and ahhs.  Don't forget to put some type on texture on the back to make installation easier.  I make my tile with a slab roller, moldings are extruded and smaller jobs the moldings can be done in a press mold.  Denice

Archived