What Are You Working On?

John,

Every new kiln that you build, still excite you? I would be really excited seeing this thing going up. I'm sure you will have a great exhaustion along with a feeling of accomplishment when all it done. But then building it is just half of the battle! :rolleyes:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JBaymore

Pres,

Every kiln I build gets me excited still.  They are the largest sculptures I ever do.  ;)   Functional sculptures.

best,

........................john

Firing echidna pots, some results.

Large platter cracked, why/, I got up about 3am to start the firing, and of course done this many times so... Put the input switch onto 4 instead of 2 . Small stuff unaffected, large platter even though at coolest part of the kiln didn't like this.

post-21244-0-28815600-1408147368_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-54778900-1408147462_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-68046900-1408147610_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-68741300-1408147794_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-28815600-1408147368_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-54778900-1408147462_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-68046900-1408147610_thumb.jpg

post-21244-0-68741300-1408147794_thumb.jpg

Leftleft:  I made a basic stencil paper slopped underglaze on it, placed it face down on pot on wheel then applied other under glaze over and around it. Lifted the stencil off and flipped it, new colour from previous process onto next bowl and applied different undergalze to that pot and so on till stencil disintegrates and then  carry on from start with new stencil. I then go in and sgraffiito and clarify features that I want to stand out, destroying hopefully teh basic stencil shape.

Left : is majolica but I put fine sand into the brown und rglaze for texture and wish I hadden't..trying to capture the prickly nature of the beast. 

right: clay addition to pot, a hand grabber for stopping soup bowl sliding to floor! Coated with 3 mang.Dioxide, 1 part black copper.. sanded back before bisque careful mang... then wax resisted before the glaze applied

right right:  onglaze: glaze on glaze + touch of black copper accents.

babs, how big is a live adult echidna?

am waiting for kiln to finish a glaze load with several experiments in it.   show in a month.   another one two weeks later, another one in november and the thing i like best, the EMPTY BOWL is in early november.   that is when all the experimental bowls that are successful go away to new homes. 

About the size of an average adult cat   30 - 60 cms on short strong legs. They walk like lizards one side moves forward then the other. Pretty amazing animals. Now that I have finished the pots for that person's book launch

, i have lots more ideas on echidnas.

You are such a busy person, great to read about!

I have to now make pots for a show  "Spring Mix" and I can't get echidnas out of my head.Though in spring they form trains, lots of prospective mates trail after the female, one behind the other, till she decides, ah remeber those days :D  :D  :D

Impatiently waiting for some work to dry before my next bisque firing. Im attempting also to do a kind of viewing stone type sculpture with waterfall blue glaze over an iron rich clay scored in one direction with hakeme brush. I hope it turns out like I envision :-)

Pinch pots are always fun and always trying to measure the right amount of clay to create the one that fits in the hand perfectly and has the perfect thickness and rim. A very zen exercise if there ever was one.

post-56924-0-95489000-1408384081_thumb.jpg

post-56924-0-95489000-1408384081_thumb.jpg

This is very exciting for you to be going back to school. Where are you doing your MFA, how long is the program 2 yrs? Is there a residency requirement?

It's a three year program at the University of Idaho (which is also where I have my half-time appointment in my 'other' job- wildlife biology). No Residency requirement, but it's an option.

I've spent the last couple of days moving into a new studio space and pondering projects. I'm sure I'll be posting some bizarre questions here over the next year or so- the program explicitly asks its students to work across media... I'll probably be venturing into metal working and large scale sculpture (while staying rooted in clay).

Archived