#41 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:58 AM

Oh so fine.

Jayne if the tile doesn't, not mentioning the word, mosaic to a piece of wood to hang??

But maybe this time no cracks are important.

This is just thinking and I have not tried this, what if you dampened the tile in a damp box, then applied paper clay or the spooze stuff to the entire back of the tile When firmed place it on a number of rods for all round drying and dried slowly?

Like to hear if anyone else thinks this is logical

Safe drying.

Benzine, I migrated after the convict times and so I can say these things, well to myself mostly,

Oh, and back on point, I'm working on a teapot that sold 3 years ago at a teapot show.  A customer of the gallery that sold it requested I reproduce it, more or less. As I work on it, I wonder how the heck I made it the first time!  It was 3 years ago and I had just started in clay and I knew even less than I know now.  It's a pain in the a** and I'll be glad to finish it....if I ever do. 

Also, I'm working on a tile that keeps breaking...and it's not even dry yet. I've put it back together with paperclay twice.  It looks like this one is going to hold....I hope.  It's for a young  friend who is nearly finished with chemo for ovarian cancer.  It HAS to be ready and in one piece so that I can hand it to her when they remove the IV for the last time on the 5th of August!  IT SIMPLY HAS TO !!!! 

Jayne

#42 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

jayne, love your work!

for the crack, try the recipe i sent for Score No More.  it works.  if you can get the ingredients. its title is No Score Slip started by big lou.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#43 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, Babs and Oldlady.  So far so good on the tile.  It's drying on a mesh rack with sandbag weights on the corners, which tend to want to turn up.   But if it cracks again I'll use the "no score Slip" found on the web, since I can't find that post here.  (Maybe it's just me, but I have a devil of a time finding posts on CAD using the search box or even the advanced search.)  And Babs, after watching a video about making a damp box, I'm going to do that very soon.  The recipe I found is on "Clayfolk" and it is :

SCORE NO MORE

Pat Horsley's "Score No More" slip and repair paste is nothing short of miraculous

• 1000 grams of your clay body in dry form
  • 20 grams Custer Feldspar
  • 20 grams Bentonite

Jayne

• 20 grams Gum Arabic
  • 1 teaspoon liquid Darvan

It is IMPORTANT to disperse the Gum Arabic. Pour boiling water over and add water up to a slip consistency. A blender really helps, then add Darvan (LIQUID) when it is well mixed. Add a tiny bit of bleach if you will store it to keep odors down.

#44 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Wedding jars posted on the blog today. Some of you may find the construction of the square knot for a handle an interesting problem in clay manipulation.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#45 Rebel_Rocker

Rebel_Rocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Nice handles Pres.

A few things I'm working on currently:

Tallest thrown form I've done yet. 10 lbs clay. 12 inches tall. Pretty happy with it, I think the wall thickness is very even right up to the rim. Still green. Still contemplating glazes.

Jar_large_bisque_12.jpg

Tiki Jar. Black Clay, 8 inches tall. Thrown closed form and carved. Won't be glazed. Still green.

Jar_Tiki_black_8_bisque.jpg

Flame Vase. Thrown in 2 pieces, the top vase and a bottom 'donut' double wall form. Combined and carved. Thinking shino with wax resist for good orange on flames and thick turquiose on top so it should end up pretty grey with a little bit of turq to contrast the shino nicely.

Vase_Flame_8.jpg

#46 Rebel_Rocker

Rebel_Rocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

@Isculpt,

Wow that really is a teapot isn't it? Great work and details.

#47 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

I  have been working on drinking beer and watching the sun set.  On vacation.  Was in Texas seeing family last week.  Hotter than the door to hell.  They had all the pottery I had sent up on shelves on "display."  I told them if they didn't take it down and use it there would be no more.

- chantay

#48 Darcy Kane

Darcy Kane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Hampshire

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:07 PM

I've been working on my tan and learning how to ride my mountain bike.  It is safe to say I am doing a great job on the tan.  After falling off my bike no less than 6 times (3 in one ride!) I am starting to acquire a few skills.  No broken bones, knock wood, but some awesome bruises.  

Tomorrow it is supposed to rain so I hope to sit myself down at my wheel and make some salad/pasta bowls and some mugs.  Summer vacation, gotta love it!

#49 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Wow, Pres, those wedding jars are fabulous. I hope neither couple ever gets divorced because there's gonna be a nasty custody battle!  Seriously, a wedding gift that wonderful is well worth the wait, as I'm sure your friends would agree.

And thanks, Rebel, yeah it's really a teapot. The head and chest of the farthest girl lifts off so water can be poured in..  I love your your carved piece and the one with flames too. It made me want to create something with flames! When I was a wood carver, I made a wall piece with an angel hanging upside down over flames. The first time I took it to a show, a woman stood just outside my booth and yelled "blasphemy".  I pointed out that just above the flames was a spigot and holy font in case the flames got too high. She was not amused.

#50 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Wedding jars posted on the blog today. Some of you may find the construction of the square knot for a handle an interesting problem in clay manipulation.

Great jars Pres.  I like the knot idea, very clever.  How do you do the texture; roll a coil on a textured surface?

Also, great carved text.  What did you use for that?  Carved font looks great.  I have students that want to include text on projects, by carving it in.  I tell them, I have no problem with that, but it has to look good; not just take a needle tool and scrawl it on there in a scribbled handwriting.  I tell them I am very particular about the look of font.  So they usually opt to go for cutting text out of thin slabs, and applying them on.  This is much easier for them, to make it look clean.

I notice none of the pots have the dynamic bottoms, like the Retirement Jar.  Too much time and stress to make that element work?

Also, did you cut the pots out, from a background and add the gradient backdrop digitally?

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#51 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I just finished handling some covered jars with black bamboo handles-I grew the bamboo and harvested it last month.

These are headed for a show this weekend.

I'm unloading two glaze fires today the last of 5 glaze fires in the past 11 days-not a record but its been a ton of work.

Vacation really messes up my clay studio work schedule.

Mark

Attached Files

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#52 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

what am I working on?  Well, normally I would say functional wear such as cups, mugs, bowls, plates, goblets etc., but since I have been temporarily banned from my studio due to a couple of fractured ribs, I am now working on making clay beads and then making necklaces and earrings utilizing these beads and some gemstones like amethyst Turquoise and agate. So far I think they are coming out rather nicely.  When I figure out how to post a picture I will put some up for you to see.

#53 Patsu

Patsu

barely a beginner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

I'm working on facing moppin' time.  THis is my wheel spot to be mopped. Char note the wheel, had it over a year and I am very happy with it. Good luck w/the ribs thing by the way.  Attached File  IMGP3501.jpg   95.25KB   5 downloads

"In everything, never do as others do." - some ancient mystic's grandmother

#54 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Mark, what do you attach the bamboo to the lid with?  Also, black bamboo?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Does it involve occult magic, to create?  I've heard bamboo growth can get away from you, if it gets going.  

but since I have been temporarily banned from my studio due to a couple of fractured ribs

Did a studio argument get out of hand?

I'm working on facing moppin' time.  THis is my wheel spot to be mopped. Char note the wheel, had it over a year and I am very happy with it. Good luck w/the ribs thing by the way.  attachicon.gifIMGP3501.jpg

If that's moppin' time, then I'm way past due.  It doesn't help that my cat, likes my throwing sponge, and keeps getting into my water container to get it.  She leaves a clay slurry mess around the wheel...and the rest of the house for that matter.

Do you sit on that bucket to throw?

#55 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

I was putting away some groceries when I took a misstep and tripped over the hem in my scrub pants (daughter-in-Law is a nurse and gives me these to throw in) I fell into the corner of the archway between the kitchen and dining room...then slid on down to the floor. At first I thought it was only my pride that was injured, but as the night wore on and the pain got worse decided I needed to have it checked out and sure enough I have 2 cracked ribs...and some really lovely deep purple bruises..wish I could get these colors in a glaze..lol.  Here are the pics..hope you can see them ok.

DSCF0025
DSCF0022
DSCF0019

#56 Patsu

Patsu

barely a beginner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Nice bead work Char!

Yep Benzine the front leg of the wheel goes through the handle of the bucket so's it can't go anywhere which keeps me tight to the wheel.  The height puts my quads in a good spot to lever my forearms on if I need. Never been shown how to throw but have seen video of course... I'm a lefty so tools on the left, water on the left.  My cats, are too lazy to play with stuff, they eat, go outside, half-kill something, drag it in, become distracted, fall asleep, repeat. maybe that's most cats.

Bucket, probably not comfy as your love seat... I'm no clay-throw hero, can't brag. Most potters probably throw more efficiently but I'm satisfied that I do okay, & progress constantly. If I don't prep well I don't throw well. Never seen a potter throw in person apart from myself, they are an elusive breed...  Here I throw - https://vimeo.com/99248806  (not sure that's gonna work, if it doesn't, no worries you've not missed much).

"In everything, never do as others do." - some ancient mystic's grandmother

#57 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

I actually on threw, from my love seat, on that one occasion.  But I currently throw from a padded office chair, so still not too bad.

The bucket size, and material, in itself wouldn't be bad, but the lids seem like they'd hurt to sit on for a while.

I am also a lefty, but I can't throw clockwise.  I've had students ask for help, with the wheel going that direction, and it really messes me up.  They don't intentionally throw that way.  They just switched the Shimpo to "Reverse" instead of "Forward", or kick the kick wheel with their left foot.  

Nice video.  It looks like you keep the wheel at roughly the same speed, from centering to finishing.  Am I seeing right?

#58 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Mark, what do you attach the bamboo to the lid with?  Also, black bamboo?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Does it involve occult magic, to create?  I've heard bamboo growth can get away from you, if it gets going.  

If you live where its hot bamboo will get away from you.

I grow 4 or 5 kinds here on the coooool coast.

Black is just another variety-look them up there are tons of types-you midwesterners live a sheltered plant life.

I use chair and basket cane (oval 3mm) and carriage cane to wrap them to the clay parts-you soak it and it dries tight-these are hard to run down where I live but the last bunch

came for The contry store off the web in somewhere in PA-I tend to buy lots of sizes-its cheap stuff.

All the secrets are out now-time to plant bamboo instead of corn dude-it does not need husking either.

You can dig a 2 foot deep barrier underground  solid around the bambo and since it shallow rooted it cannot spread beyond that barrier

Mark

but since I have been temporarily banned from my studio due to a couple of fractured ribs

Did a studio argument get out of hand?

I'm working on facing moppin' time.  THis is my wheel spot to be mopped. Char note the wheel, had it over a year and I am very happy with it. Good luck w/the ribs thing by the way.  attachicon.gifIMGP3501.jpg

If that's moppin' time, then I'm way past due.  It doesn't help that my cat, likes my throwing sponge, and keeps getting into my water container to get it.  She leaves a clay slurry mess around the wheel...and the rest of the house for that matter.

Do you sit on that bucket to throw?

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#59 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Patsu..I am glad you are enjoying your wheel..  I have had mine going on 5 years now and I still love it.  I highly recommend them anytime I get the chance.

#60 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

P.S,  my studio is here at my home out in the back yard...small 12x12 building..but big enough for my throwing and glazing purposes..most of the handbuilding work I do in my studio area inside the house. So just to clarify...no problem with anyone in the studio..its just me..the banning came from my son who thinks it would be better for me not to be on the wheel for a while until my ribs get a chance to heal up a bit.  He is probably right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users