#21 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

considering the best way to use the new "mold" i made with leaves and dragonflies.  took everything from the kiln last night and found so much stuff that suggests new uses.  it is always this way, more things to do or try than time.  hope my reach always exceeds my grasp.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#22 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Just finished group of vases for upcoming salt firing. More wares still need to be prepared, though.

#23 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:52 PM

Echidnas are monotremes not mammals

Their class is in fact mammalia, while their order is monotremata.

Thanks for that, well knew that somewhere in the brain as they produce milk and are warm blooded. Interesting creatures which can retract their heads, oh if I could do that! :)

#24 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:54 AM

Drying two wedding jars. One for my daughter, first marriage at 39. Hers is wheel thrown. Second is for an art teacher/friend. These should be ready when I get back from northwest trip.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

would you post pics Pres, I do not know wedding jars.

#26 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Babs,

Click on the link in Pres' signature.  He has some "Wedding Jar" pictures on his blog.

He also has his "Retirement Jar".  So Pres, if I make something like that, and it survives, can I retire?

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#27 TwinRocks

TwinRocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Just got a bunch of bowls back from bisque firing, working on glazing them all. I bought a bunch of 4 ounce sample jars of glaze to experiment with, now wondering if I shouldn't have just jumped in and bought a few buckets because I am not a huge fan of brushing! It will be a good learning experience if nothing else and maybe I'll get some interesting results!

#28 John Hertzfeld

John Hertzfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Echidnas are monotremes not mammals

Their class is in fact mammalia, while their order is monotremata.

Thanks for that, well knew that somewhere in the brain as they produce milk and are warm blooded. Interesting creatures which can retract their heads, oh if I could do that! :)

and the babies are too darn cute too. very interesting creatures bizarre reproductive organs, egg layers, and ooze milk from patches their skin rather than the more common mammalian method.  still cute though,

#29 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

and the babies are too darn cute too. very interesting creatures bizarre reproductive organs, egg layers, and ooze milk from patches their skin rather than the more common mammalian method.  still cute though,

If it's bizarre and dangerous, it's from Australia, present company excluded Babs.

But seriously, all the poisonous spiders and snakes, the sharks, the jelly fish; it's like nature tried to make a place no human would want to go, but the people there said "Challenge accepted!"  They have a mammal, that lays egg, looks like it's made up from leftovers, from other animals, and is venomous.  

#30 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

This has gotten way off point, but out of curiosity I just Googled 'echidna' and found a bizarre you tube video entitled True Facts About baby Echidnas" that starts "The echidna was created 54 seconds after God created marijuana..."

Oh my, the things I have learned reading the ceramic Arts Daily Forum!!!!

#31 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I actually tried to mess up on th retirement jar as I was not ready to retire. The base stilts are pretty thin.
Wedding jars are something I first saw in the Penland crafts book. I think it was the Larsons doing one. when I get back home I will check, and look up more references. I like to make pots that commemorate.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#32 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Picking potato bugs off my potatoes in my big garden plot. First year with the plot. It's 45 by 35 ft. The potato bugs appear every day. They are not very smart. they sit up on top of the leaves. i put them in a glass jar of soapy water. i have been thinking of leaving the jar by the potato plants so they can see what they are missing, but that might be too cruel.

This garden plot has sucked a lot of time away from the studio. Mugs next week-I promise.

I hope I don't come back as a potato bug.

TJR.

#33 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I hope I don't come back as a potato bug.

TJR.

I hope you don't either, or a echidna.  :P

#34 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

I grow potatos and never had a bug-do you fry them or eat them fresh???

If they are on the leaves what damage do they cause? the spuds are under ground

Life in the far north is simpler-siting around waiting to pick a few bugs on plants sound idea lick-can you read a book between bugs?

Is this like watching paint dry or more fun?

more like watching water evaporate?

Can you sell them by the #?

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#35 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Watch some of the other "True Facts" videos. The octopus one is pretty great. Also the Sea Pig.

#36 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Long necked bottles. cause life was too smooth, so I invented me some stress.  :wacko:

#37 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Benzine for directing me to Pres's pots, really something. And thank you for excluding me from the dangerous list!

Yes I must admit to having fear of everything when first in Australia but the most fearful are still the humans... most of them were sent here because the British prisons were overflowing..

Nature's amazing hey?

I'll post my efforts when fired , they show a lot of artistic licence, but have got these critturs in my brain at the mo so  This will be my main side project for sometime I feel. Bit tunnel visoned here. Till I look down the next tunnel.

TJR we catch lots of bugs in our garden by sitting a glass in the ground to lip level, the glass's, and pouring a bit of beer in it, may work for you to lighten your work load that is, must be tearing you to bits. :) Don't be seen doing this as the neighbours will look at you in quite a different way. Then you can test,test, test to see whether the bugs prefer light or heavy ale.

Nothing like a new patch to attract all predators.

Now working at a number of mugs and a couple or 6 teapots.

#38 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:33 PM

Babs, I didn't want to bring up the "Prisoner Thing", as I figure anyone living there hears that enough.

In regards to unwanted bugs, apple cider vinegar, with a drop of soap works for some types. They are attracted to the smell of the vinegar, land on the surface, but the soap broke the surface tension, somthey drown.

I had a problem with vine boarers getting my pumpkins last summer. They got most my vines. This year I wrapped the base of the vines witha light fabric, and happened to be out there, when the adults were trying to lay eggs. They got swatted.

#39 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

Stellaria, I'm still so freaked out about the echidna with the four-headed um, boy parts, that I'll have to work my way up to the octopus and the sea pig.....

Jayne

#40 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:07 AM

Oh, and back on point, I'm working on a teapot that sold 3 years ago at a teapot show.  A customer of the gallery that sold it requested I reproduce it, more or less. As I work on it, I wonder how the heck I made it the first time!  It was 3 years ago and I had just started in clay and I knew even less than I know now.  It's a pain in the a** and I'll be glad to finish it....if I ever do. 

Also, I'm working on a tile that keeps breaking...and it's not even dry yet. I've put it back together with paperclay twice.  It looks like this one is going to hold....I hope.  It's for a young  friend who is nearly finished with chemo for ovarian cancer.  It HAS to be ready and in one piece so that I can hand it to her when they remove the IV for the last time on the 5th of August!  IT SIMPLY HAS TO !!!! 

Jayne

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users