13 replies to this topic

#1 TwinRocks

TwinRocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

I've noticed a trend in marking pottery with an extremely small stamp with no other form of signature. Do people generally do this on dishware only or on more extensive sculptural work as well?

I am curious how others prefer to mark their work. Do you sign with a needle tool? Use a chop or seal! Have a stamp made? What information do you try to convey?

Some of the stamps I've seen used are so small and simple it wouldn't lend a clue for someone who bought it to remember the maker. Do you prefer a simple mark or something more identifiable? Do you use your name, a symbol or both? I know there are as many options as answers to these questions, but I am curious and I would love to see some examples.

Clearly this is also somewhat pointed. I am not fully satisfied with my marking method and I am considering a custom stamp, or more immediately re-carving a soap stone signature chop I had fashioned myself for other purposes.

#2 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

I sign my name with a brush and oxide on the bottom of all my pots.

TJR.

#3 synj00

synj00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

I have a TERRIBLE scribble scrabble signature which is barely consistent. I prefer a small stamp. I'm still learning but I think I'll probably always prefer a stamp if anything. Some of the greats never signed their work and compromised only by signing on the decorative boxes that they sold in. It interferes with the mingei folk-art concept as I am familiar with it.

My failures and successes

http://dreamsofearth.wordpress.com

#4 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

I have a small stamp for small things.....I write big.   But I use a stylus sort of tool for regular signing.  

#5 Joy pots

Joy pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

I've used several methods throughout the years from signing with an older long tip pen to a stamp. I also had a ring with my coat of arms which I had made into a rubber stamp. I have reverted back to the long nibbled pen.

#6 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

With a Porcupine quill, it's better than a needle tool, doesn't cut so much and leaves less burrs.

DSCF1787-sig2_zpsde16802b.jpg

#7 Stellaria

Stellaria

Maker of Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

I use a carved wooden stamp - not small. It's about an inch in diameter. Not my name; it is a Celtic raven glyph.

#8 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I made a small stamp of my 3 initials, carved into the end of a coil of clay - about 6mm diameter. It took several attempts to get it right - first time I got it in reverse! Then there was one piece that kept falling out and spoiling the letters! I carved back the space around the letters, leaving them standing proud, which are then an impression, when I stamp my pots.

#9 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

I use the butt end of a pro needle tool-its metal and worn smooth.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#10 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

Small pots, biro at trimming time, large pots sign with an ink trailer pen

#11 hershey8

hershey8

John Autry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationMineral Bluff, Ga

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

Ball point pen works for me.

john autry

#12 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Hey,

When I sign my work,

I use a needle tool made from a blow gun dart that Michael Hanson made me in April of 1990.

I sign my name and date backwards but put the lbs. and cone temperature on frontwards as well

as any other information.  I'm not sure what a stamped signature will mean in 20, 30, or 40 years

from now, if its only initials.  I also stain the bottom with black iron oxide to make the information visible.

Its useless if you can't make out the name and/or date. 

see you later.

Alabama

#13 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Most times I place a small piece of thin plastic bag on top of the pot, then use a dull pencil to sign the pot, and a lead "R" to finish. No burrs with the thing plastic.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#14 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

i use the back of a small paintbrush or a crochet hook 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Signature, signing, signature stamp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users