Photo

Making Glazes...all At 2000 Gm Dry Ingredients But Not At All The Same In Volume When Finished

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Just finished making 5 batches of cone 5/6 glaze. Used the same amount of dry ingredients, 2000 gm for each one...but came up with five different amounts of wet glaze...it always amazes me how this happens. Guess I need to start writing down how each one turns out so I can adjust the dry ingredients to fit the containers I have..lol.

#2 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,986 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

When you understand the differences in the molecular weights of the various chemicals.... you understand why that happens. (Order a 50 pound bag of magnesium carb sometime ;) .)

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#3 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Yep, different ingredients take in water differently. I used to make 9000-9500 grams batches when I was working in cone 10. Now most of my cone 6 glazes are 8500 gram batches due to their higher clay content.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#4 Pots by Char

Pots by Char

Aspiring Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

one of my recipes had a lot of ball clay in it..and it took up the whole bucket plus some..gonna have to get it a larger container..lol Most of my glaze making experience has been with cone 10 glazes and I didn't notice so much of a difference with them..but cone 6 is a whole different ball game..but its fun to play..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users