Granite For Wedging Tabletop/element Wire For Fixed Cut Wire ?

hershey8

I have some left over granite counter top, smooth on top rough on bottom. The rough part looks like it would be ideal for wedging. Anyone tried this? I could probably just hose the thing off to clean it. ALSO, I have some extra kiln wire that looks like it would make a dandy diagonal cut wire. I have twisted it tightly about 12 times and created a loop on each end. My understanding is that element wire and stainless steel are one-in-the-same, or at least, kissin' cousins. So, even though it's not stranded cable, I expect it will work ok in a fixed application.

john autry

If the radon doesn't get me, the cobalt, silica, manganese, electromagnetic fields from electric kiln and potters wheel, too much sunshine, gamma rays and old age will. Isn't clay, decomposed granite?   CLN studios, yeah I think the clay would stick to the smooth side. Thanks.   john

Guest JBaymore

Guitar strings make great cutoff wires. Put a stiff spring on one end. I've got one that's going on 13 years.

Fender Super Slinky E.

best,

..........................john

The clay will probably stick to the granite when you wedge, rough or smooth.

Guitar strings make great cutoff wires. Put a stiff spring on one end. I've got one that's going on 13 years.

I've got a few high e strings laying around....and a few Grover (clones) tuning keys for tensioning.....hmmmmmm....the wheels are turning now.

Been using the guitar string too. Finally have something to do with my old strings. It's like a hot knife through butter. Built a little wooden frame and bolted in eye bolts at each end. Just tighten the nuts a little to adjust tension.

Guest JBaymore

I always got the used ones from the lead guitarist in the band I was in "back in the day"..... then knew about them from that.

best,

....................john

Guitar playing, fisher partner, I chose well!! Guitar strings last forever. Used ti twitch fishing line by sticking one end to the centre of wheel and spin away till it twitches back on itself, The expensive braid seems to be hidden from me.. I think I saw some scientists doing this recently to form soem form of muscle which contracts and expands depending on temp. many uses come to mind.

i tried using a marble wedging table and it did not work! the clay sticks.   as for potters playing guitar- i can play 3 songs.  iron man by ozzy, smoke on the water, and zombie from the cranberries.  someday i would love to play jim croce's time in a bottle on a 12 sting like him but i don't foresee prioritizing that ;)

i tried using a marble wedging table and it did not work! the clay sticks.   as for potters playing guitar- i can play 3 songs.  iron man by ozzy, smoke on the water, and zombie from the cranberries.  someday i would love to play jim croce's time in a bottle on a 12 sting like him but i don't foresee prioritizing that ;)

"Zombie", good choice.

I used to be able to play, the repeating portion of "One" by Metallica, and not well.  

The clay will probably stick to the granite when you wedge, rough or smooth.

I've got a few high e strings laying around....and a few Grover (clones) tuning keys for tensioning.....hmmmmmm....the wheels are turning now.

My Schecter has grovers. I put mini grovers on my 12 string fender. I play & sing simple chord stuff, not much of a lead player, I just dub around. Latest I picked up is Ahead by a Century by Tragically Hip.

"Zombie", good choice.

I used to be able to play, the repeating portion of "One" by Metallica, and not well.  

I heart you ;) 

Archived