Wiring For An Outlet For A Kiln

This is more of an electrical question but considering that I'm sure many people on here have some experience with a similar situation I figured better than asking on an electrical forum. Have a Skutt 1027 and plan to set it up in my basement. I'd originally thought that I could just plug it into the outlet that I use for my dryer but realized that it is not the same amperage and also not the same type of plug. The plug on my kiln has the 3 flat blades. However I did notice that the breaker for my range is the proper size, so was figuring that I could just tap into that instead. Hook up a junction box, wire in some cable, and add my outlet, also allowing me to place the kiln where I want rather than be limited by the location of a current outlet. I assume working with 220 like this is not much different than 110 (just more likely to kill you), but I guess the real concern is the amount of power my range and kiln would be drawing if they were on at the same time, and on the same circuit. We don't cook a whole lot, and I figure my kiln would only be fired a couple of times a month likely, but don't want to have my kiln firing and then my roommate decides to cook some Hot Pockets in the oven instead of the microwave, for crispness, and ends up tripping the breaker, potentially screwing up a load of pieces in the kiln. I'm running low on free slots on my electrical panel so was hoping to avoid running a dedicated circuit, at least at this point, even though I know that would be ideal. Thanks for the help!

If you have room for additional service on your breaker box, I'd have an electrician put in a designated line. Much better with your insurance company. You may need a designated box.

Marcia

Most definitely, which you will learn as you gain experience as a potter using electrical kilns.

Wyndham

What you are planning g-bus, doesn't sound like a good idea. High amperage 220 installations require the right wiring, breakers, connectors, etc. and some basic familiarity with working with these loads. Either you can spend some time and get really familiar with what it takes, or get an electrician to do it. Don't try to just wing it and end up with a mess that needs correcting or worse.

I can tell by what you said that you shopuld have someone else (an electrician) do this work

110 volt is not like jigh amprefe 220 kiln work

Be safe hire a pro.

If your house burns up  or worse you will wish you did?

Mark

I definitely understand the "better safe than sorry" route, but I'm not a total noob to electrical work, and am comfortable with some basic work like this. I added the existing 220 for my range when I switched over from gas to electric, plus ran the power to my shop, put in a separate panel, and wired that all up. I guess my main concern was the amount of power a kiln tends to draw and whether or not a circuit could support both a kiln and an oven, being that it's not the most common household "appliance". But does sound like a dedicated circuit is the way to go either way. Was just hoping to keep a few more open slots in my panel in case I needed them. Thanks for the input!

I definitely understand the "better safe than sorry" route, but I'm not a total noob to electrical work

Then make sure all of your wiring is to code, your breaker is at the correct amperage, and your outlet is correct for the kiln. Then if all goes well the worse that can happen is your room mate trips the breaker when the stove gets turned on and you have to fire your pots over.

A dedicated circuit is really the only good way to go.

Dedicated curcuit is the only way to go

If your kiln nameplate says say 48 amps wire it for a 60 amp (wire size and breaker)

Kiln curcuits will kill the breakers over a short time compared to all other household stuff-electric ranges do not hold a candle to the draw of a kiln on high.

Make sure all connections are clean /tight /and greased/

Use one wire size up if you can

I have replaced sub panels/wires and breakers all on kiln curcits due to the draw.

The kiln will be your largest drawing item with a wielder next under a kiln for draw.

Mark

Ok, even though I've done this before and know I'm totally capable, you guys are making me paranoid. So I'm enlisting the help of one of my friends that has a lot of experience with electrical work. One of the perks of working for Home Depot for several years, meet a lot of people that have a lot of experience with various trades. And I'd much rather buy him a few beers than drop $100+ for an electrician for 15 minutes of work.

Archived